Ubuntu 10.10

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby RedWillow » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:53 pm

heiowge wrote:After being told by a load of people that the 10.10 screen flicker issue was sorted, I upgraded. It flickers. About once every 3-4 seconds. :cry:

Could be your particular card chipset. I see you have a RV515 [Radeon X1300] (from another thread). Is that flickering with the inbuilt open source driver or with the proprietary driver? If with the proprietary driver, you probably don't need it. According to this Ubuntu documentation page you should get good 3d acceleration with the open source driver.

My ATI HD4350 works just fine in 10.10 with the open-source driver - compiz and all - and no flicker. I tried the proprietary driver during beta and all that did was to bugger up the nice Plymouth splash.

Edit: sorry, re-read your post. Sounds like the flicker is with the open-source driver.
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:40 pm

It's with the default driver. I tried to grab the proprietory driver from ATI website, but it wouldn't install. First it was a non-recognisable format to autorun, then I grabbed the install guide. The guide told me to run the installer from the command line, but the program had been updated and had a new name. I corrected the mess and got it to run. It ran for about 2 seconds then failed. :roll:

I never used the proprietory driver in 10.04, and rarely had a flicker there.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby RedWillow » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:48 pm

heiowge wrote:It's with the default driver. I tried to grab the proprietory driver from ATI website, but it wouldn't install.

Not much help, I'm afraid, but a FYI. From the ATI Catalyst Display Driver webpage:

AMD has moved a number of DX9 ATI Radeon™ graphics accelerators products to a legacy driver support structure. This change impacts Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Linux distributions.

The following products have been moved to the legacy software support structure

ATI Radeon X1300 Series

The Linux ATI Catalyst™ driver will only be supported in Linux distributions prior to February 2009 for the legacy products listed above.

That's for the proprietary driver, of course. Time for a new card? :|
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:23 pm

The card came with my mum's PC. My last one had a nvidia one. Not sure I can afford a new one yet.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:25 pm

just for a laugh
I might download it now that the fuss is dying down.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:19 pm

As it turned out, my unattended upgrade hadn't been as smooth as it might have been. When I ran apt-get update it told me there was a problem and I needed to run dpkg --configure -a to fix it. This process installed a huge number of files that apparently hadn't been installed properly the first time and after the necessary reboot, sound didn't work :?
After surveying whatever information I could find about any errors relating to sound I thought deeply and decided to reboot again. Now sound works! Oddly enough, the errors at the console relating to hda-intel still appear, but as sound is working, I've decided to ignore them. :)

One other problem has emerged, in that 10.10 has a more recent version of Unison than all my other machines, so it won't work with my backup sync server. Now, I can either downgrade Unison on the HP2133, or find a way to upgrade it (probably means compiling) on all my other machines. Ho hum.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby hecatae » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:32 am

I had a new kernel update last night, yet to see any difference
hecatae

Postby heiowge » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:56 pm

I ran an update and looked at the package manager for the ATI drivers. Installed what I found.

The update didn't fix the flicker. The "drivers" didn't either. What they did do was install 2 options to my admin menu that crashed when I tried to run them saying I had no ATI drivers. :roll:

I am still on Win7 this week. They've got till the weekend to sort it then it's back to Lucid for me. Win7 is giving me a migraine...
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby alan404 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:18 pm

Win7 is giving me a migraine...

Must be the flicker... (Joke!)
alan404

Postby heiowge » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:52 pm

alan404 wrote:
Win7 is giving me a migraine...

Must be the flicker... (Joke!)

I hate to say it, but I don't have a flicker in win7.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:35 pm

Problem solved. I'm back with 10.04

My brother-in-law discribed Linux as a "half-finished OS". This made me very angry and I defended Linux passionately, but 10.10 has me wondering if (at least as far as Ubuntu 10.10 is concerned) there may be a grain of truth... :cry: It always makes me wonder when the "upgraded version" can have something so serious go wrong and yet still not be able to fix it a fortnight later, despite it not being an issue on the previous version.

The 3 problems I had with it:

1) Screen Flicker
2) No compiz
3) Unable to shut down.

Maybe I'll just stick with LTS versions from now on...
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:13 pm

The rule with Ubuntu seems to be: it gets better a month after release date :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby heiowge » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:16 pm

That sounds about right.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby alan404 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:33 pm

Well 10.04 and 10.10 were both perfect for me. But I have this amazing idea for Ubuntu, which obviously no one will listen to.
When you go to the "download Ubuntu" page, you should be given two choices "stable and solid" or "cutting edge" - At the moment these would be 10.4 and 10.10, and so on as each new version is released. New users and / or business type users would enjoy 10.4 and wouldn't mind being a version behind. Lots of people would also go for cutting edge, and help to iron out the bugs in the real world, and they wouldn't grumble as much either. There would be no extra work for the Ubuntu developers, apart from having a slightly different website, and the previous (bugfixed) version packaged up into a downloadable CD when the new version is released.
alan404

Postby towy71 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:56 pm

alan404 they don't have a link to the LTS version, which they really should have :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion