Fedora Core 4 Trouble ""HELP""

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Fedora Core 4 Trouble ""HELP""

Postby ati » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:22 pm

hello everyone

i,m very new to linux so forgive my ignorance and spelling as well

i downloaded the torrent version is by starsk or something like that fc 4 64 versionas i have the amd toledo

i burned it on disk and than booted

i thantested the media as i wanna be as through as i can as i have to other win xp o.s. and itsays MEDIA TEST FAIL.

so i stopped there

isthis usully normal ?

do i ignore it and carry on?

or shouldi only carry on whenit passes?

I than went to my lecture and gaveme this months linux format cover cd which also had fc4.

does that support the 64 bit cpus or is it for i 386.

i,m also in a process of downloading another fc 4 iso 2.7 gig.

so help i need to get this sorted

thanks
Last edited by ati on Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ati

RE: Fedora Core 4 Trouble ""HELP""

Postby Nigel » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:31 pm

If it says "MEDIA TEST FAIL" there's a good chance you have a problem with the ISO you downloaded. Did you check the MD5 checksum of the image after you downloaded it ?
There are Windows utilities available to do this (a google search of "md5 windows" finds several - I haven't used any of them, so can't recommend one over another).

The LXF coverdisk appears to be the 32-bit version (assuming it's the September issue, LXF70). There is a comment in the magazine that says you shouldn't do the media check if installing from the LXF DVD, but you should if you create CDs from the DVD and install from them.
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby ati » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:39 pm

i,m downloading another isoas we speak

god thats going to take ages

so as soon as thats done do the installationagain or just butthe new iso in and test that media
ati

Postby Nigel » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:54 pm

You should first check the MD5 sum -
the correct value is likely to be posted on the page you are downloading from. Run an MD5 sum generator on the ISO that you have downloaded, then compare that with the correct value. If it is OK, go ahead and burn the new ISO to (presumably) DVD.
Then do the media check - if fails this time you know the ISO is OK but the disc you burned isn't. Or maybe the drive just needs cleaning...

I find that the CDs and DVDs I burn are a lot more reliable if I don't use the maximum rate my burner is capable of. So on my 12x Plextor CD burner I usually set it to burn at 8x.
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs