Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

And they wonder why film piracy is a problem........
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? Because you obviously phrased it badly if that's what you meant. In the context I wrote, I was in fact agreeing with you. If you meant that the theory was denounced by the critics, then it isn't clear from your statement. I only quoted the relevant bits. I don't always feel the need to quote an entire post.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that it was a longish sentence, but not one I thought beyond the the ability of most to read in its entirety.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I went on my own to the Open Source across HMGovernment–London 22/02/11. Cost me about £30 for rail + tube. And I got 3 hours of enjoyment out of it with no headache from an over-loud sound system afterwards. Add travel costs to Worcester and a fillum would cost about the same but last an hour less and give me a headache. Shame the family weren't interested.
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhakios and heiowge are you arguing about the fact that you both think the film (The Last Airbender) is crap?

i'm confused... Confused

guy:
Have they seen the light yet and got free stuff?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's crap, I've never seen it. The opinion of others, which I have passed on, is that it's crap. On the other hand, the trailer, which I have seen, I recommend for a few minutes entertainment, very whizzy.
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As light entertainment I enjoyed the film, never seen the cartoon.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
khakilang
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lease, building maintenance, decoration, staff salary, electricity bills, water bills, business license, profits etc. add up to the cost. So you are not just paying for the movie but everything else.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khakilang wrote:
Lease, building maintenance, decoration, staff salary, electricity bills, water bills, business license, profits etc. add up to the cost. So you are not just paying for the movie but everything else.

A single coke and popcorn should cover that for a week or two... Laughing

Plus I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I heard that Cinemas don't earn a single penny from ticket sales. That goes to the people selling the film. They make their money from food sales and merchandise.
pastychomper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heiowge wrote:
Plus I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I heard that Cinemas don't earn a single penny from ticket sales. That goes to the people selling the film. They make their money from food sales and merchandise.

I've heard a similar thing, in my view it's a(nother) good reason to seek out independant films whenever possible.

This thread got me thinking: I can grab a recent DVD for anywhere from £1 (library rental) - £20 (buying latest blockbuster with no special offers), and a FWSE tells me I can pick up a half-decent data projector for £400. So, taking £10 as the average DVD outlay and £50 as the total cinema cost for a family, you only have to watch ten films to make the projector cost-effective.

Granted you'd have to wait for the DVD release and I've ignored the cost of speakers, surround sound card etc, but I'm beginning to see why I no longer have a local cinema. Razz
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you'll get more bang for your buck buying a big-assed TV instead of the projector. Sure the screen is smaller, but the clarity is so much better.
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, cinemas are going to have to get their acts together. 20 years ago the home movie experience for most of us was a 20" 4:3 CRT and VHS, giving a resolution well below "SD" and was exceedingly poor compared to the cinema.

Now a 50" 1080p TV and Blu-Ray player with surround sound can be had for under £1k.

OK, you'd have to indulge in a fair few £40 trips to the cinema to make up for the cost, but when people replace their TV's they are likely to buy kit of that ilk anyway. My old 28" CRT is on its last legs and I'm certainly going to replace it with something like that.

Ironically. My decision to buy a zonking great screen (as opposed to a more aesthetic 30" jobbie, is prompted by the high cost of going to the cinema.

On another note, I see The Last Airbender has pretty much swept the boards at the Razzies.
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heiowge wrote:

Well not sure about the cinema not seeing a single penny, but it is defiantly true that food sales are more profitable than other income for Cinemas and theatres (think ice cream in the interval)
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobthebob1234 wrote:
food sales are more profitable than other income for Cinemas and theatres (think ice cream in the interval)

Do any cinemas have intervals now? They used to when I were a lad, but today it all seems to be non-stop. Which is kind of annoying when they're also selling you big drinks and beers to fill up your bladder quickly...

M
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the distributors used to get about 75% of the tickets sale, that figure stick out in my memory banks from well I was a projectionist ( was doing that while at school as a part time job.), Ah yes the day of a 'b movie', interval and a feature film.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
LeeNukes
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show Film First. Free Moves Cool
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: