Smartphone help

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Smartphone help

Postby heiowge » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:34 pm

I'm due a phone upgrade today. I'd rather not get a windows phone or an iPhone.

So it's basically an Android one or similar.

Any recommendations? I'm not after a specific model. Rather what version of android is good, what isn't. What phone's shell over android ruins it, and what works well. etc.

If I can't get a decent phone, I'll probably wait a month or two...
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:23 pm

NEXUS S

might be a bit expensive though... :(

It runs android 2.3.1 (well my one does at the moment). and as it is made by Samsung and google it should be upgradable to newer versions and not locked in like some phones

2.3.1 is the only version i have played with so can't comment on lesser versions, but my one is v quick and nice to use.
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:05 pm

Popped into Orange. I'm not due an upgrade until tomorrow and apparently I need my wife on hand since it's her contract. The only smartphone I can get on my contract as an upgrade without paying excess or an increased contract that isn't apple or with windows is...

Samsung Galaxy Ace.

Looks nice with Android 2.2 (.???).

gonna have to research it.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:25 pm

There's not a massive difference between 2.2 and 2.3, 2.1 to 2.2 was the last big jump. I've not tried the Galaxy, but I'm really happy with my Nexus S, which is also a Samsung.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby leke » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:59 am

The new Nokia Linux phone will be out soon.
leke
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:34 pm

I got a HTC Desire in the end. My wife has told me to stop playing Angry Birds. She wasn't impressed when I found I could play it on my PC under Wine... :twisted:
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby shaddack » Sun May 01, 2011 7:10 pm

leke wrote:The new Nokia Linux phone will be out soon.

Interesting. Do you have any more info on this? Links or something? Liked the N900 but I never got one. Kind of regret that.
shaddack

Postby shaddack » Sun May 01, 2011 7:12 pm

heiowge wrote:I got a HTC Desire in the end. My wife has told me to stop playing Angry Birds. She wasn't impressed when I found I could play it on my PC under Wine... :twisted:

I think that was a good choice. Good phone and it will be upgraded to Android 2.3 as far as I understand.
shaddack

Postby pwbrum61 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:54 am

heiowge wrote:I got a HTC Desire in the end. My wife has told me to stop playing Angry Birds. She wasn't impressed when I found I could play it on my PC under Wine... :twisted:

Good choice. I have its predecessor, the Hero, running 2.1 and like the HTC "Sense" user interface better than the "bog standard" Android one. I've tried Android on the Galaxy tablet and the interface just didn't feel as "polished"

That's not to say I've not had problems. The Hero is woefully short of on-board memory, which restricts the number of apps you can use. i've also had problems with it not switching on after a re-charge (unless I remove battery and put it back in). This seems to have been cured (for now) by doing a factory reset. However... I can no longer sync with Exchange at work (probably not such a bad thing after all :lol: )!
Where's the Kaboom? There's supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom! :D

pwbrum61
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Tue May 03, 2011 1:41 pm

Good choice, I've got the HTC Desire and I've just bought both my daughters the HTC Desire Z which has the slide out QWERTY keyboard. Like most teenagers they spend their life texting and on Facebook (either Wi-Fi or through 3G). They're really happy with the standard HTC Sense Android but mine's been "modded" (Using LeeDroid as per T-Mod.org for Australia).
Last edited by ollie on Wed May 04, 2011 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ollie

Postby leke » Tue May 03, 2011 8:55 pm

shaddack wrote:
leke wrote:The new Nokia Linux phone will be out soon.

Interesting. Do you have any more info on this? Links or something? Liked the N900 but I never got one. Kind of regret that.
Whoops! Did I say too much :roll: Well, this information may or may not be accurate.
http://tecnologiarivista.blogspot.com/2 ... -date.html

...and you should still be able to pick up a n900 new. They should be considerably lower in price now since they are a bit long in the tooth :wink:
leke
LXF regular

Postby shaddack » Wed May 04, 2011 8:36 am

leke wrote:...and you should still be able to pick up a n900 new. They should be considerably lower in price now since they are a bit long in the tooth :wink:

I have tried to find a new one here in Sweden but it seems impossible. Maybe the situation is different in Finland? Any ideas if there are any stores in Finland where I can shop online?
shaddack

Postby leke » Wed May 04, 2011 9:19 am

shaddack wrote:
leke wrote:...and you should still be able to pick up a n900 new. They should be considerably lower in price now since they are a bit long in the tooth :wink:

I have tried to find a new one here in Sweden but it seems impossible. Maybe the situation is different in Finland? Any ideas if there are any stores in Finland where I can shop online?

This was all I could find: http://www.elisashopit.fi/tuote/638?o=1&p=1&q=n900

not sure if they will send it to Sweden or whether it will be locked to a Finnish network.
leke
LXF regular

Postby shaddack » Wed May 04, 2011 9:21 am

leke wrote:
shaddack wrote:

This was all I could find: http://www.elisashopit.fi/tuote/638?o=1&p=1&q=n900

Thanks! I'll check it out. Maybe its better to wait for the N950.
shaddack

Return to Discussion