Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smartphone help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Smartphone help Reply with quote

I'm due a phone upgrade today. I'd rather not get a windows phone or an iPhone.

So it's basically an Android one or similar.

Any recommendations? I'm not after a specific model. Rather what version of android is good, what isn't. What phone's shell over android ruins it, and what works well. etc.

If I can't get a decent phone, I'll probably wait a month or two...
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEXUS S

might be a bit expensive though... Sad

It runs android 2.3.1 (well my one does at the moment). and as it is made by Samsung and google it should be upgradable to newer versions and not locked in like some phones

2.3.1 is the only version i have played with so can't comment on lesser versions, but my one is v quick and nice to use.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popped into Orange. I'm not due an upgrade until tomorrow and apparently I need my wife on hand since it's her contract. The only smartphone I can get on my contract as an upgrade without paying excess or an increased contract that isn't apple or with windows is...

Samsung Galaxy Ace.

Looks nice with Android 2.2 (.???).

gonna have to research it.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not a massive difference between 2.2 and 2.3, 2.1 to 2.2 was the last big jump. I've not tried the Galaxy, but I'm really happy with my Nexus S, which is also a Samsung.
leke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Nokia Linux phone will be out soon.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a HTC Desire in the end. My wife has told me to stop playing Angry Birds. She wasn't impressed when I found I could play it on my PC under Wine... Twisted Evil
shaddack

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leke wrote:

Interesting. Do you have any more info on this? Links or something? Liked the N900 but I never got one. Kind of regret that.
shaddack

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heiowge wrote:
I got a HTC Desire in the end. My wife has told me to stop playing Angry Birds. She wasn't impressed when I found I could play it on my PC under Wine... Twisted Evil

I think that was a good choice. Good phone and it will be upgraded to Android 2.3 as far as I understand.
pwbrum61
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heiowge wrote:

Good choice. I have its predecessor, the Hero, running 2.1 and like the HTC "Sense" user interface better than the "bog standard" Android one. I've tried Android on the Galaxy tablet and the interface just didn't feel as "polished"

That's not to say I've not had problems. The Hero is woefully short of on-board memory, which restricts the number of apps you can use. i've also had problems with it not switching on after a re-charge (unless I remove battery and put it back in). This seems to have been cured (for now) by doing a factory reset. However... I can no longer sync with Exchange at work (probably not such a bad thing after all Laughing )!

ollie

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heiowge wrote:

Good choice, I've got the HTC Desire and I've just bought both my daughters the HTC Desire Z which has the slide out QWERTY keyboard. Like most teenagers they spend their life texting and on Facebook (either Wi-Fi or through 3G). They're really happy with the standard HTC Sense Android but mine's been "modded" (Using LeeDroid as per T-Mod.org for Australia).

Last edited by ollie on Wed May 04, 2011 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
leke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaddack wrote:
leke wrote:

Interesting. Do you have any more info on this? Links or something? Liked the N900 but I never got one. Kind of regret that.
Whoops! Did I say too much Rolling Eyes Well, this information may or may not be accurate.
http://tecnologiarivista.blogspot.com/2011/04/nokia-n950-release-date.html

...and you should still be able to pick up a n900 new. They should be considerably lower in price now since they are a bit long in the tooth Wink
shaddack

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leke wrote:

...and you should still be able to pick up a n900 new. They should be considerably lower in price now since they are a bit long in the tooth Wink

I have tried to find a new one here in Sweden but it seems impossible. Maybe the situation is different in Finland? Any ideas if there are any stores in Finland where I can shop online?
leke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaddack wrote:
leke wrote:

I have tried to find a new one here in Sweden but it seems impossible. Maybe the situation is different in Finland? Any ideas if there are any stores in Finland where I can shop online?

This was all I could find: http://www.elisashopit.fi/tuote/638?o=1&p=1&q=n900

not sure if they will send it to Sweden or whether it will be locked to a Finnish network.
shaddack

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leke wrote:
shaddack wrote:
leke wrote:

This was all I could find: http://www.elisashopit.fi/tuote/638?o=1&p=1&q=n900

Thanks! I'll check it out. Maybe its better to wait for the N950.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: