Is this a first for the Government?

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Is this a first for the Government?

Postby johnhudson » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:17 pm

Note the format of this Cabinet Office document:

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/sites/d ... 2011_0.odt

Good to find it on Document Freedom Day - but it was a German website that pointed me to it.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Re: Is this a first for the Government?

Postby caf4926 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:47 am

johnhudson wrote:Note the format of this Cabinet Office document:

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/sites/d ... 2011_0.odt

Good to find it on Document Freedom Day - but it was a German website that pointed me to it.

Interesting. Albeit a predictably waffle doc.
CAF4926
caf4926

Postby guy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Yes it's true, Her Majesty's Government do indeed seriously want to make friends with us. Not only do they mandate open standards as compulsory, but they understand that free as in freedom means less chance of being ripped off, and they want our software. 8)

Of course, persuading their droids to wake up and smell the coffee is another story :shock:

That's what this strategy is all about. They have even published it in html, pdf, odt and (boo hiss) doc formats so no droid can have any excuse. I note the absence of docx and would love to know if that is also a political statement or just a reflection of their current IT desktop.

See also:

http://www.linuxformat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13283

http://www.linuxformat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13477

http://bit.ly/hDuFEG (Tariq Rashid is a systems bod at the Home Office)

And rumour has it that CESG, the Government's IT Security folks, are close to publishing a Good Practice Guide to Open Source Software Procurement. That'll be another hurdle removed.

Keep on keepin' on.
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby jamie_tickner » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:20 am

the pdf file i read from the cabinet office states that the government will create an open source advisory group!
jamie_tickner

Postby guy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:54 pm

jamie_tickner wrote:the pdf file i read from the cabinet office states that the government will create an open source advisory group!

Not to mention an Open Source Implementation Group, a skunkworks and a "fully operational, online Applications Store". Is Open Source pronounced "Lockheed"? Is online applications store pronounced "battle station" in an incisive I-am-the-bad-Emperor kind of voice? Who wrote this stuff? And who says bureaucrats have no sense of humour? :)
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:11 am

Lockheed are diversifying into area where they can do more damage than with a B1 bomber, like administering the UK census.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby guy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:33 pm

nelz wrote:Lockheed are diversifying into area where they can do more damage than with a B1 bomber, like administering the UK census.

Have to say I'd rather have my religion accidentally-on-purpose recorded as "Kelly Johnson worship" than have a bomb dropped on me.

But I do love the idea of a secret development facility for Open Source Software.
guy
LXF regular

Postby aled » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:55 pm

Well, this can only be a good thing right?

I think I read somewhere that the government in Germany used open office exclusively.

(:

Al
Don't find fault, find a remedy.
Henry Ford
aled

Postby ollie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:05 am

guy wrote:But I do love the idea of a secret development facility for Open Source Software.

I thought that was Google's Android development :wink:
ollie

Postby Mikeo0302 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:29 pm

guy wrote:I note the absence of docx and would love to know if that is also a political statement or just a reflection of their current IT desktop.

I left the civil service last June. On the day I left we were using Office 2003 and IE6 for web-browsing and various browser-run programs, which more often than not handled confidential data.
Mikeo0302

Postby johnhudson » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:46 pm

Mikeo0302 wrote:I left the civil service last June. On the day I left we were using Office 2003 and IE6 for web-browsing and various browser-run programs, which more often than not handled confidential data.

Goodness me! You mean their software was more up-to-date than their menagement methods :)
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:46 pm

johnhudson wrote:
Mikeo0302 wrote:I left the civil service last June. On the day I left we were using Office 2003 and IE6 for web-browsing and various browser-run programs, which more often than not handled confidential data.

Goodness me! You mean their software was more up-to-date than their menagement methods :)

The IBM PC was only thirty this week. :D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Mikeo0302 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:28 am

johnhudson wrote:Goodness me! You mean their software was more up-to-date than their menagement methods :)

The management techniques were distinctly feudal.
Mikeo0302

Return to Discussion