Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mandriva 2006

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Mandriva 2006 Reply with quote

For us few who own a Mandriva account the latests edition 2006 is now available to download!! Have it going at home right now so by this evening I should have a lovely new Mandriva box Laughing

My brush with suse was interesting but using Yast and the akwardness of installing and upgrading packages will be a thing of the past, maybe I will give it a go again some time in the future....

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: RE: Mandriva 2006 Reply with quote

Just as a matter of interest, why did you find installing and updating packages on SuSE more difficult than on Mandriva? Admittedly urpmi is easier to use from the command-line than YaST, but I've not found much functionally different from the GUI perspective.
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: RE: Mandriva 2006 Reply with quote

Well it was just the fact that if I clicked on an rpm it would open up this stupid window that said did I want to install it with yast or put the path into yast. When I clicked on install with yast nothing would happen!! If I did the other one I would then have to go into yast, find the package and then install it. With mandriva its just one click, put in root password and then done.

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Mandriva 2006 Reply with quote

Hmm, I suppose that would be a bit annoying. I never just clicked on rpms like that, and when not using YaST I have always tended to use kpackage, which I rather like.
overflow
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: RE: Mandriva 2006 Reply with quote

linuxgirlie wrote:
When I clicked on install with yast nothing would happen!!
Something was wrong with your set-up. I've used that same process dozens of times to install stuff with no trouble.

It might have been worth starting the whole process from a console window to catch any odd messages.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: