Mandriva or SuSE?

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Rhakios » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:59 pm

Well, I didn't "buy" it Marrea as I'm a member of Mandriva Club (will I ever get around to writing Mandriva instead of Mandrake without having first to pause for a moment?). In any event, it's the ordinary PowerPack edition, not the PowerPack+.
The main difference between those two is that the PowerPack+ edition contains server software not found in the other one, which is intended to be desktop/workstation edition, not an all singing and dancing one. There has been some griping about this on the club site, but I don't know how much difference it makes to you.

Of course, if you just want to have a look at it and don't need all the docs you might find someone could send you a copy.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Marrea » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:50 pm

Rhakios wrote:The main difference between those two is that the PowerPack+ edition contains server software not found in the other one, which is intended to be desktop/workstation edition, not an all singing and dancing one. There has been some griping about this on the club site, but I don't know how much difference it makes to you.

Many thanks for the clarification. I certainly wouldn't need server software (at least not at present anyway) and I am not too bothered about documentation. There is quite a lot of that freely available on the Net, if necessary.

I will probably wait and see how I get on with Suse10 first and after that decide what to do about Mandriva. I don't really want to commit myself to the Mandriva club until I am quite sure I am going to stick with their distro for a while. :)

Oh, and I wouldn't dream of imposing on someone. :wink:
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:05 pm

Marrea wrote:Oh, and I wouldn't dream of imposing on someone. :wink:

Well, the offer's open anyway.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Marrea » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:42 pm

Rhakios wrote:
Marrea wrote:Oh, and I wouldn't dream of imposing on someone. :wink:

Well, the offer's open anyway.

And very much appreciated it was too. It is really quite refreshing to discover how ready many fellow Linux users are to help each other in this way.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:39 pm

Perhaps because this is software one can share without the fear of unpleasant legal repercussions. The simple opportunity to share an interest (as we all do through these forums) and behave like a human being.

Someone's been rereading "Odd John" and has the feeling that humanity has been, perhaps unjustly, maligned.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby greg.d » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:51 am

duffmckagan wrote:I installed the Mandriva LE 2005 on my computer.
It is so smooth. No problems at all.
(Mandriva should do something to the default look, to make it a bit better. But that thing is fuly customizable and not a problem at all.)

Mandriva and SuSE cannot be compared. That is what I feel.

How do you mean? Do you mean that Mandriva is superior to SUSE?
My personal experience/opinion is that SUSE is superior to Mandriva in all things except maybe speed, Mandrake always felt that little bit snappier, but it always seemed that little bit buggier too. However the last version of Mandrake I tried was 10 or maybe 10.1, when i was trying to get a decent MythTV box setup (there were no RPM available for SUSE at the time). Things may have changed with the latest version of Mandrake, however after playing with lots of distro's I have settled on and am happy with SUSE.

duffmckagan wrote:Mandriva moreover, doesn't have the licensing problems.
Mandriva plays MP3, and other video formats out of the box.

We need to search for that on SuSE, then install the needed packages to add MP3 support. (The procedure is not difficult at all, but the thing that it needs to be noted is to be noted. )

? are you sure about that? It's been a while since I did my install of 9.3, but I dont recall having to do install anything extra to play my mp3's, I could be wrong though.

Cheers,
Greg
greg.d

Previous

Return to Discussion