Looking for Mikogo Linux beta testers - can you help?

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Looking for Mikogo Linux beta testers - can you help?

Postby Andrew_Donnelly » Fri May 06, 2011 10:52 am

Hi,

We have a remote desktop software program called Mikogo which is used for online meetings and remote support.
Our dev team has been hard at work preparing a native Linux client for Mikogo and we're about to start a beta stage. We don't have many Linux visitors to our website (obviously because we haven't had a Linux client before) so I'm here looking for some people to help us during the beta stage.

I contacted the guys at Linux Format and was informed that I could ask everyone here in Announcements. So I hope we can find some keen Linux fans for our beta stage.

Further info is available on our website, including a sign up form so we can send you an email with the details of the Linux beta testing: http://www.mikogo.com/2011/04/21/mikogo ... a-testers/
Note: we haven't started our Linux beta stage yet, but will soon when we have enough beta testers and when our dev team is ready which should be very soon.

Really appreciate your help and looking forward to seeing Mikogo available as a native Linux client!

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew_Donnelly

Postby heiowge » Fri May 06, 2011 11:43 am

Looks interesting, but I'm surprised I couldn't find VoIP included...
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri May 06, 2011 12:22 pm

As I have no use for your product I won't be signing up for the testing. But I do hope your efforts in getting the Linux client working properly will pay off soon and I'd like to point you to a 'competitor' forum, LinuxQuestions.org, which is "a tad" ;) larger then LXF, if you haven't done so already. It will expose your efforts to a much wider audience, triggering a better cross-section response of the userbase you're aiming for.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Thank you!

Postby Andrew_Donnelly » Mon May 09, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks for the replies and interest in our software

@heiowge - true, there is no built in VOIP feature, however it is on our roadmap for the future. But right now it is more important for us to complete the Linux version, and then after that we'll be working on the Apps for mobile devices, for example the iPhone and iPad apps. In the meantime we provide audio conferencing numbers which can be found under the Product section of our website.

@Dutch_Master - thanks a lot for the Linuxquestions suggestion. I'll look into this and get in contact with them
Andrew_Donnelly

Postby RedWillow » Mon May 09, 2011 9:47 am

Hi Andrew. Good luck with that.

I'm with DM in suggesting a larger forum. Have a look also at Ubuntu forums - http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php . Although it's Ubuntu-centric (obviously) it's a huge forum, reflecting the fact that Ubuntu users probably represent the largest segment of Linux desktop users. Which means that there will be many Ubuntu users amongst your potential users, so it's worth getting the Beta tested by Ubuntu-ers.

Be careful how you word your announcement. They're very hot on removing spam - quite rightly. It's obvious that your link is not spam, but tired moderators there have been known to make mistakes.

In a similar vein, you might want to consider posting in Fedora forums - http://fedoraforum.org/forum/ - and opensuse forums - http://forums.opensuse.org/ - two other distros near the top of the popularity league.
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby Andrew_Donnelly » Wed May 11, 2011 2:13 pm

@RedWillow

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I did try DM's suggestion of LinuxQuestions which has got a few responses. I've waited a few days to see if it resulted in anything, but looks like it is time to contact another forum. So i'll try a couple of those forums you recommended.

Cheers!
Andrew
Andrew_Donnelly

Return to Announcements