Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parent control options for lubuntu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonathanwri73

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Parent control options for lubuntu Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently installed lubuntu distro from the recent LXF coverdisk earlier this year onto an old PC for my son to use for Web surfing and Paint packages (tuxpaint etc..)

However given he is 4 (5 in July) want to make sure I limit his ability to surf the internet and sites he visits but would appreciate ideas on what packages/options I have.

best regards,
Jonathan
ollie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is to stop accidentally going to "bad sites" I recommend using OpenDNS at the router level. You can develop a personal blocking action or just use the 3 built-in options to block sites before they even get to your network. It's simple and free which makes it ideal for home and business.
chrishall57

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dansguardian might also be worth looking at for lubuntu.
ollie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrishall57 wrote:
Dansguardian might also be worth looking at for lubuntu.

If you want a proxy server then using Squid and Squidguard is a much better option. Dansguardian is GPLv2 and there are a number of important changes being planned but the recommended blacklists are commercial. Squidguard is built to work with Shallalist which is free.

This is easily installed and configured in most current distros. I've been using this on Red Hat 8/9, SuSE 9, OpenSUSE 9/10 and Ubuntu 8.04LTS/10.04LTS for a number of years and it works great.
Jonathanwri73

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not overly concerned about blocking sites as I have site blocking enabled on my router/firewall and have a list already loaded in to filter out site content.

My main need/reason is to limit the amount of time they can connect to the internet without shutting down the PC. So for example I would like to allow upto 2 hours per day they can surf the internet but am okay if they want to use packages already installed such as Tuxpaint etc..
ollie

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Squid & Squidguard you can restrict times for certain PCs by IP Address or go the full hog and set up LDAP authentication for Internet access. It is quite easy to set up the IP Address restrictions with good examples as part of the documentation.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: