doing some research...wat are you guys running..hardware/os

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

doing some research...wat are you guys running..hardware/os

Postby Robert109 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:19 pm

Im doing some home research making my self more aware of linux if you will...my main questions are wat are you running hardware/linux...why are you running it...if you could build a new desktop/laptop wat would it be ect ect....1 of the main reason im doing research is I got into a discusion (stupid me) with a windows 7 fan who has a gaming rig thats eh...expensive...any way this guy knos his stuff when it comes to windows, hes even did all the beta testing for windows and helped with the dawn of war mods so basicly to him any thing else is rubbish to the point that he refuses to even use a mac or a ps3....in this discussion I told him that linux isnt the old typing in commands or just for putting life into old pcs...That linux in the rite hands could be as good as his gaming pc (obv hardware plays a part of it)...I also mentioned that some users use linux to help detect viruses in windows...linux can run window apps using wine/play on linux...but he basicly thinks Im talking utter rubbish and still thinks linux is for low powerd netbooks and desktops/laptops made before 2001......so as I stated earler wat are you guys running is any of it new...would you pick a newer machine......would you ever need to run more than xx of ram for the most demanding user.....Im really sorry for this question and if its in the wrong section. I really did try to do my research..buying linux format and linux user testing out diff oses...looking online but the truth is I got lost with the amount of info out there.....Id love to be able to talk about summit I enjoy using with out looking like a idiot or a fan boy....oh 1 last thing Im sorry for my typing errors Im using a nintendo wii and usb keyboard lol...my desktop isnt complete yet...again thanks for any help, links and putting up with my constant stupid questions
Robert109

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu May 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Well, there's no real way of 'winning' this from someone who sold his soul to M$, but you may give him some food for thought by showing him this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercompu ... ng_systems Or, maybe more telling, the stats on which that graph is based: http://www.top500.org/stats/list/36/os In short, of the top 500, only 5 run M$, 30 more are neither Linux nor M$ but the rest is Linux. That's 465 to 5...

Further: you can tell him a modern Linux distro will happily run on hardware M$ has given up on years ago, like the 386 and 486. With graphics, provided there's enough memory (128MB, yes that's a fraction of what Win7 needs as minimum (2 GB, IIRC)) and a suitable graphics card. And that out of the box (more like: straight from the install CD) Linux supports more hardware the any Win-OS, only that there are more hardware vendors providing drivers for Win-OS then for Linux.

To rub salt in the wound, tell him that IE is no longer the dominant browser in Europe ;) linky, bar-graph
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby PCNetSpec » Thu May 19, 2011 10:29 pm

You're wasting your time... he'll keep coming back to the only safe ground he knows... 'gaming'.

Save it for someone that's willing to listen, and walk away safe in the knowledge that he probably (no definitely) uses Linux somewhere in his life without even knowing it.

If it must be seen as some kind of OS war... Linux has already won, but it's still a secret so don't tell anyone ;)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:27 am

Well I got me AMD Phenom X6 (liquid cooled), 6gb ram, nvidia dual headed graphics card, 1tb hdd...
I want some more rams cos I like playing with virtual machines and having loads run at the same time.

but for gaming I must admit I do reboot and use win 7. :(

But yeah if this dude is not listening why talk? There are loads of other people who would be willing to listen and learn.

walk away safe in the knowledge that he probably (no definitely) uses Linux somewhere in his life without even knowing it.

Its everywhere... In your intertubes, hiding in your microwave (ok probably not in you microwave (yet))
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Fri May 20, 2011 11:30 am

bobthebob1234 wrote:
walk away safe in the knowledge that he probably (no definitely) uses Linux somewhere in his life without even knowing it.

Its everywhere... In your intertubes, hiding in your microwave (ok probably not in you microwave (yet))

If he connects to the Internet he has a Linux box at home - the router that connects to the Internet runs on Linux (or BSD which is *nix).
ollie

Postby heiowge » Fri May 20, 2011 11:44 am

I have an AMD Phenom 6 core processor (3.2 Ghz), 1 GB nVidia card, 8GB DDR3 RAM.

I use ubuntu 10.10 most of the time, but I also reboot to win7 to play the occasional game (last one was Bioshock 2).

Windows works better for me from a gaming perspective, but I still prefer consoles for gaming. I don't use windows for anything else since Linux works better for me there.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Robert109 » Fri May 20, 2011 12:48 pm

Cheers guys....this window lover isnt rude just how can I put it..needs evidence in front of him and because Im not excatly the best defence lawyer for linux every thing I say comes to a fail....but I will take ur advice and walk away for abit till I have more understanding of linux......and yes he has used linux he owns a android device.
Robert109

Return to Hardware