Open Source/Free Lightweight uPnP Viewer (Cross-Platform)

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Open Source/Free Lightweight uPnP Viewer (Cross-Platform)

Postby Mad-Halfling » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:14 pm

Right, I will start off by saying
"Please don't flame me"
I know this is the LXF forum, but the mag does deal with all aspects of open source software, and I figured I'd be more likely to get helpful and useful answers in here than I would on a Windows (again, please don't flame me) forum:

I have a great setup at home, with a MediaTomb server holding pics and vids with my Raspberry Pi running an XBMC setup to view them. This works great. However, at my parents I have a similar MediaTomb server set up, but their (older) PC still runs XP and I'm struggling to find a decent client viewer that runs on it. I've tried XBMC but it's really struggling to run on the older system. I'm trying to find a similar interface that can be set up with pointers to specific paths to make life easy for them, but I'm really struggling to find a lighter weight bit of software that will do this, can anyone please suggest anything.

As an addendum, I 99% sure I can't reload their system with Linux, even as a dual boot - they run some software (iTunes, and others) that doesn't play well with WINE, and they don't really have enough HDD space free to dual boot, unfortunately (otherwise I would have converted them over, long ago). Also, rather than buying an additional HDD to do this, I'll probably just buy myself a new (with the larger memory) Raspberry Pi and get them the kit for the XBMC setup, if I can't find any suitable software.

Thanks, any suggestions are much apprec.

And ....... please don't flame me, I'm a massive Linux geek, myself =8)
Mad-Halfling

Postby nelz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:32 pm

As what you are really looking for is a Windows client rather than cross-platform, I've moved this topic to Other OS.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Mad-Halfling » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:39 pm

Ah, apologies - didn't see that section
Mad-Halfling

Postby dandnsmith » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:18 am

I recognise the situation, having been through the mill over it since last Xmas.

I used VLC on the XP PC, but found that the PC wouldn't cope with the modern higher definition videos.
Now I have 2 Rpi setups with RaspBMC loaded, one of which is destined for the remote location to feed the monitor (21 inch LG TV/monitor). I'll also be taking a KVM switch of suitable type to make switching over easy. The monitor has Vesa mounting points, so that is where the RPi will be mounted (VESA RPi plate from cpc/farnell)
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Return to Other OS