Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update disc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Update disc Reply with quote

There was a letter in this months mag from a guy who wanted a coverdisc with updates for the core distros. While I think this is a great idea for someone with low bandwidth it becomes problematic for someone with a monthly disc to put out. Filling it with updates means no room for other stuff.

From your point of view, it's not a good idea. BUT... it's still not a bad idea for someone to do just that and sell the discs to people who live in areas with low bandwidth. Say, a monthly subscription of a few pound gets them a monthly update disc that comes with all the updates that have come out for their distro of choice.

Everyone's a winner. People who make the discs get a small cash amount to keep them in business. The client gets regular updates without having to get expensive broadband services that may not available in their areas.

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But where would you draw the lines?
Which repos would be included?
What packages not in the default install would be added to the disk? There are many thousands for some distros, and the disk would be huge.

I can see the reason behind the idea, but I do think it is just impractical, and would never work in the real world.

Am I wrong? Perhaps I am. What do others think?
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could charge a fraction more and make it bespoke... just let them know if you install any other programs so they can add the updates.

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: