Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BD-RE UDF support

View previous topic :: View next topic  
garydale

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: BD-RE UDF support Reply with quote

I'm running Debian/Squeeze and have just switched to using an LG BH12LS35 Blu-ray writer for backups - to replace a DVD writer and DVD-RAM discs. However it doesn't seem to work the way I thought it should.

The DVD-RAM discs I'd been using were UDF-formatted (mkudffs /dev/sr0) and would hold about 4.3G. I would simply copy files onto them then unmount and eject the disc.

With the Blu-ray BD-RE discs, df /dev/sr0 only reports about 1G of space after formatting, and the file copy seems to concur. It reports being out of space after about 1G of copying.

If I do a dvd+rw-format /dev/sr0 (with or without the -force=full option), the dvd+rw-format program reports 24.4G media but afterward I'm still left with only 1G being reported.

I also tried to use growisfs -Z /dev/sr0 -R -J <files to backup>. It appeared to work, but I can't access files past the first 1G on the disc.

Any ideas on what is happening?
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purely a guess but Blu-ray requires UDF2.5 though it will read UDF1.0 - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray. Are the different programs you are using assuming different versions of UDF?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: