Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux Distro Chooser
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Linux Distro Chooser Reply with quote

Ubuntu. No choice about it. Smile

nordle:
You should not have selected the option for "DDoS, phishing and spam server". Wink
ladi
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Linux Distro Chooser Reply with quote

The thing actually works...got the answers backwards though!
Offered me Gentoo then Slackware.
Nobber
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Linux Distro Chooser Reply with quote

It offered me five perfect matches: Kubuntu, Mandriva, MEPIS, Gentoo and Slackware.

I've tried all of these before except MEPIS. Slackware's my current favourite, and I'll definitely try Gentoo some day.
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Linux Distro Chooser Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
Goodness me! For me it recommends Mandriva and SuSE.

Would you believe, that was what it recommended for me as well !

A long-time SuSE user and a dabbler with Mandriva. Dipped a toe in the water with 2005LE and have a purchased copy of 2006 waiting until such time as I get round to installing it - once I've played with SUSE10 a bit more. Wink

Quote:
It states that Yellow Dog fails on the criterion of requiring partitioning skills, which I said didn't give me any trouble, it should have failed on the fact that I am installing on a PC, not a MAC.

Exactly the same here as well !!
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo then Slackware as perfect matches. Funny cos I was only wondering about trying Slackware earlier and I already use Gentoo, that has to be the first online test Ive taken where it hasnt either got it wrong or told me to call such and such a numbe rfor full results Very Happy
Cogar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also got the Mandriva/SUSE/Yellow Dog recommendation. I like SUSE a lot, and it is what I use.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Linux Distro Chooser Reply with quote

Marrea wrote:

Quote:
It states that Yellow Dog fails on the criterion of requiring partitioning skills, which I said didn't give me any trouble, it should have failed on the fact that I am installing on a PC, not a MAC.

Exactly the same here as well !!

Well, I filled in their response form, so if it's a bug (I would think so) then they can try to fix it if they want to.

You should like Mandriva 2006, but look out for the two killer bugs, see the errata. They have the same xorg bug as SuSE and one of their very own linked to logrotate.
ollie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Linux Distro Chooser Reply with quote

I must be answering the questions wrong - I keep getting Kubuntu, Debian and Mepis with Fedora or mandriva and then SUSE Linux 9.3. I've been using SUSE Linux from 9.0 until now 10 when I changed from Red Hat 7.3 - 9. I just have too many hardware issues with Debian during the installation (stable, testing, or unstable seems to always have an issue with must use something from stable when I'm using testing or this hardware needs unstable when using stable) and Mandrake/Mandriva has always seemed to have an issue somewhere with hardware or libraries.

Or is it because I'm upside down to the web server Laughing Laughing
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Linux Distro Chooser Reply with quote

Maybe the answer is right and you are using the wrong distro Smile
Nobber
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Linux Distro Chooser Reply with quote

Maybe people are putting too much stock in the order in which the results appear.
ggsinclair
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Linux Distro Chooser Reply with quote

Hello!

I Mandriva and SuSe.

Almost accurate - I removed Mandriva recently in a fit of rage.

Just run SuSe now.

What is Yellow Dog, and is it any good?

Gordon
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Linux Distro Chooser Reply with quote

Yellow Dog is Red Hat/Fedora Core for PPC.
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Linux Distro Chooser Reply with quote

It got it upside down, i think the predicates need expanding a bit. Not a bad idea though, just goes to show the fundamental problems associated with predicated systems.

Robot says "Are you hungry ?",
Person says "I could eat a horse !"
Robot comes back with a horse !
Person slaps thigh, and say, "Well, i'll be a goose hehhe"
Robot grabs them an chuckes em in the oven !

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: