Another reason I love Linux (as if I need to mention it!)

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Another reason I love Linux (as if I need to mention it!)

Postby OnlyTheTony » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:03 pm

I've recently started a new job as a PHP/MySQL web developer (and, as it transpires, the fixer of all things electronic and computer related) and as part of my contract they said I could use whatever software I wanted. Naturally I removed Windows 7 from the massively over-specced gaming PC they provided for me (?) and put Ubuntu on.

The other people in the office use Macs and, as it's a new company, the emails needed setting up. Since the parent company uses Exchange 2003 the choice for the Macs was obvious - Outlook. Which, after several attempts at configuration, wouldn't connect to the Exchange server.

However, on my free desktop Evolution with the MAPI plugin connected without issue - even allowing me access to the company directory!

Eventually I persuaded tech "support" to open port 143 for IMAP connections for the Macs so now everything is (almost) working as it should.

So, open-source product = 1, Microsoft product (connecting to another Microsoft product) = 0.

And obvious brownie points for me for pointing out the glaring problems with their IT infrastructure....
If at first you don't succeed, call it v1.0
OnlyTheTony
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:21 pm

Well done. I'm sure there should be an award for something like this!
johnhudson
LXF regular

Return to Discussion