windows and Linux hardware

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

windows and Linux hardware

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:58 pm

Just moved my software test box.
Installed the 2 hard disks, one with Ubuntu, one with Windows 7 to a new motherboard.

Ubuntu booted, clicked a bit (about 5 minutes) and then asked for 332 updates (I haven't used it in a while) :)

Windows did find all the hardware and download and install the drivers, but its currently on its third reboot, and it has so far taken 40 minutes!

Edit, it now wants to apply 69 updates. :(
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:54 pm

I think most windows boxes are in a permanent state of rebooting! :lol:
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:01 pm

Finally took 5 reboots and 90 minutes.
At least it didn't ask to reactivate.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:00 am

It won't ask to reactivate unless you change a vital amount of the hardware - software changes (apart from a new OS) don't worry the checks.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:26 am

dandnsmith wrote:It won't ask to reactivate unless you change a vital amount of the hardware - software changes (apart from a new OS) don't worry the checks.
I have an old box with XP on it from the day it was built, updated to SP3; then I foolishly allowed it to install the "Genuine Advantage" update and it then needed reactivating..... it now runs Linux :roll: :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:49 am

dandnsmith wrote:It won't ask to reactivate unless you change a vital amount of the hardware - software changes (apart from a new OS) don't worry the checks.

Well, as I changed the motherboard, processor and graphics card, by moving the hard disk to a completely new PC, I would have expected it. Or is there anything more "vital"?:P

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Other OS