Is Microsoft behind the death of Megoo

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Is Microsoft behind the death of Megoo

Postby splash » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 am

:( Im using my ultra light weight asus X101 which came with Megoo.Its been an ideal travel top and at $199 better still

Megoo inside has provided all the advantages of having Linux,Fast reliable(has been so far)and for once easy to use.I installed firefox which has transformed its functionality

As with other Linux distros it came with almost everything needed.

OK what i see is yet another Linux distro dumped because with just a bit more development it would be a better OS than windows.

Why dosnt a group adopt Megoo and make it the best general OS there is.

Its FAR BETTER THAN WIN 7 BASIC which even when updated at a cost grater than an X101 with Megoo is a pain to use

Microsoft is a money grabbing monopoly if you have to use windows then you only have win7 pro 64bit which costs a fortune

Im sure microsoft saw the threat when they bought Nokia they kiled Megoo and intel dumped it,

Megoo is an ideal platform as it works very well on a netbook and better still on a touch screen (i prefer non touch screen when in places with 40c and 100% humidity touch screens just dont work)

Dveopl Megoo its a great distro
splash

Postby PCNetSpec » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:45 pm

Megoo = MeeGo ?

Did I miss something .. when did Microsoft buy Nokia ? :?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:16 pm

With Nokia's attention elsewhere, Intel has moved on to Tizen.

But there are attempts to keep Meego going:
http://blog.jospoortvliet.com/2011/09/m ... ation.html

and
http://www.merproject.org/
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby splash » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:52 pm

:) Thats good news.Now meego is the OS on asus samsung might try selling Meego on its netbooks and pads to keep the price down,as well as resolving android security questions

If this light affordable Asus X101 with SSD is a start netbooks will again out sell ipads my Asus is lighter easier to hold at one third the price

:shock: What about a duel boot Mint Meego or triple boot with Fedora a fast 32/64 gig SSD :roll:

Oh yes MS didnt "buy"Nokia but they are putting in a lot of cash,still unless im surprised by a window phone id still prefer an N8 Meego

Meego is sooo easy to configure xandos on my asus 900 wasnt easy peesy never ran Meego has great wi-fi & chrome is very fast much better than opera as a second browser

Great site good news for meego so far thanks for the link
splash

Postby leke » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:24 am

johnhudson wrote:With Nokia's attention elsewhere, Intel has moved on to Tizen.

But there are attempts to keep Meego going:
http://blog.jospoortvliet.com/2011/09/m ... ation.html

and
http://www.merproject.org/

Interesting move by Samsung (I hear, now the leading seller of mobile devices). I wonder if they plan to offer more choice or replace android altogether as its Linux based OS?
leke
LXF regular

Postby Spangwiches » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:55 pm

I'd really love to see a more-proper-Linux-than-Android-is mobile implementation of Linux become popular.

Android's fine for mobile phones (in which I have no interest) but I'd want something with a bit more flexibility, and ideally something to which the vast array of existing Linux software can already be ported, for a tablet or a netbook-type-device.

I was looking at Meego for my netbook recently, I really do hope someone takes it and makes it into what it could've been.
Spangwiches

Postby guy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:56 pm

"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:05 pm

Something about leopards and their spots comes to mind.

It could back-fire on MS if they frighten people off Android onto platforms that are harder to attack.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Return to Discussion