Quake 4 thoughts ?

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Quake 4 thoughts ?

Postby RD » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:18 am

Hi

I got my copy of quake 4 friday from tuxgames :) and just woundering if any one else has got it and whats your thoughts on it ?

I love it its got me gripped which is more than some of the games ive played ive only found one problem with it it dropped out with a seg fault :( but maybe i was giving it too much stick lol other than that wow it rocks :)
RD
LXF regular

RE: Quake 4 thoughts ?

Postby Dave2 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:13 am

Doom 3 drops to about 2FPS at times of action for me, and from what I've heard Quake 4 is slightly more demanding, so I'll go with "Pretty slide show" :P.
Bloat. The crappiest Perl script in the world? You decide!
Dave2

Postby RD » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:39 am

The lowest ive dropped in full on action for doom is 25 and about the same for quake it is big system wise dont half take some running, i tryed the bear minium and i was lucky to get 1fps so i put it on my main system and sings like a bird :) very happy at 45-50 fps :)
RD
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:09 am

Ohhh, I'm off to buy it now, I'll let you know how I get on later...
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby ukshred » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:45 am

i think that something more impressive could have been done with the doom3 engine, quake 4 is just another doom 3, but with different weapons.

(that said im gonna buy it :)
ukshred

Postby Farslayer » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:41 pm

Quake 4 is great !! runs like a champ on my Linux box, but.. I'm having a bizarre sound issue.

All the audio echos and sounds like an old fashioned speech synthesizer that has been run through a harmonizer to the point where it's completely unintelligable. firing weapons sounds like you plucked a spring.

Seems to early for much to appear in the way of Linux community support on the net for Quake 4, so my searches have come up empty so far. Audio for my other games works fine.. Savage, UT2004, Bzflag.

That being said the gameplay is enjoyable, the graphics are great, I just wish I had a beefier machine.

[ UPDATE ] Sound issue has been resolved. the Doom3 FAQ had some suggestions for sound issues that had you change settings in the console. I tried afew of these and it pulled my sound back into the normal realm. it seems it was tryig to pump 5.1 channels of sound through my 2 speakers and that is what was causing the audio distortion.

set NumberOfSpeakers 2 is the setting that fixed my sound.
Last edited by Farslayer on Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farslayer

Postby RD » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:49 pm

Ive seen lots about sound but i fail to see what the problem is as ive not found one fault with sound

edit

Your right the game play is great and i must admit that to play this game right you really need a big powerful box :) like i said ive tryed it on min requerments and that was hard, then put into my 3.6 P4 powered with 2gig ram and x800 xt runs smooth as hell :) also put on my other box similar just graphics card geforce 6800 gt wow!.
RD
LXF regular

Return to Discussion