Preferred Desktop/WM

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

What is your preferred Desktop or Window Manager

Unity
3
11%
Gnome 2.x
5
18%
Gnome 3.x
2
7%
KDE
8
29%
Xfce
7
25%
LXDE
2
7%
Other stacking/dynamic
1
4%
Other tiling
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 28

Preferred Desktop/WM

Postby Spangwiches » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:43 pm

I'm curious as to what the current breakdown is. Just because I'm interested in such things.

I don't know whether this place is a representative cross-section of the Linux using public but still.

I realise people run different desktops on different hardware, one for laptop, one for netbook etc. So I suppose I'm asking about the one you consider your main system, the one you use the most. Or the desktop you like using most. Either is valid I think.

I'm sorry if I miss off anything major. I can't list them all as there is not room on the internet.
User avatar
Spangwiches
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:50 am

Postby johnhudson » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:05 pm

I also like LCDE which I use on an older computer for obvious reasons; so if two votes were possible LXDE would have a vote too.
johnhudson
LXF regular
 
Posts: 883
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:37 pm

Postby Rhakios » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:21 pm

Well, I've voted for XFCE, on the basis that it's the most bearable desktop these days, but KDE3 was my favourite. As I believe nelz said of KDE4 in an article in the magazine, the most misleading thing about it is the name, it isn't really KDE.
Bye, Rhakios
User avatar
Rhakios
Moderator
 
Posts: 7634
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Midlands, UK

Postby nelz » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:40 pm

I suppose, to use the much-stretched car analogy, it depends on whether you consider KDE to be the make or the model.

KDE4 is not KDE3 in the same way a Ford Focus is not a Ford Escort, even though both are replacements for the older product.

The product may be different, but the thinking behind it comes from the same minds. The same should be considered for GNOME 3 vs GNOME 2
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
User avatar
nelz
Site admin
 
Posts: 8552
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Warrington, UK

Postby Spangwiches » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:41 pm

I guess I should've said: Gnome 3 for me. It is quite literally the bees knees. Metaphorically speaking. Literally.

I'm really enjoying KDE Plasma Netbook on my ... netbook though.
User avatar
Spangwiches
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:50 am

Postby Rhakios » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:10 pm

nelz wrote:KDE4 is not KDE3 in the same way a Ford Focus is not a Ford Escort, even though both are replacements for the older product.


Having used KDE since one of the 1.x versions, I found the transitions up through 2.x and 3.x pretty smooth, things just seemed to get better looking and gained more functions (despite the odd hiccough). Even though KDE4.x has worked pretty well since about 4.4, I still can't get used to it...
As for the "semantic desktop" aspect of it, I've not seen any apparent practical functionality arise out of all that indexing going on. OTOH, when Kontact came along as a wrapper for KMail, Kaddressbook and the rest, it made some sort of sense, it was useful.
Oh well, I'm not going to ramble on about this any more, KDE4 gripes are old hat and not what this thread is about.
Bye, Rhakios
User avatar
Rhakios
Moderator
 
Posts: 7634
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Midlands, UK

Postby roseway » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:18 am

I use KDE, and that's what I voted for, but in truth its features are way over the top for me. The only reason I stick with it is that the small subset of its features which I do use can't easily be fulfilled in the other desktops. The main difficulty with XFCE and LXDE has been the lack of a menu editor, and now that one is available I might soon be moving to one of those.
Eric
roseway
LXF regular
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:27 pm

Postby paulm » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:49 pm

I've been using Xfce for several years now. I find it provides the best balance between features and bloat, as well as providing a good level of customisation without making me spend hours trying to get things set up the way I want them (which KDE does) or leaving me annoyed by things that I can't change (which Gnome has done for a long time).

Its not bug free, but works well and is light enough to allow me good good performance. Can't ask for much more.....

Paul.
paulm
LXF regular
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:53 am
Location: Oxfordshire, UK

Postby ajgreeny » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:45 am

roseway wrote:I use KDE, and that's what I voted for, but in truth its features are way over the top for me. The only reason I stick with it is that the small subset of its features which I do use can't easily be fulfilled in the other desktops. The main difficulty with XFCE and LXDE has been the lack of a menu editor, and now that one is available I might soon be moving to one of those.
I am aware of the menu editor for LXDE, lxmed, which works extremely well, and looks just like alacarte, but it is only for LXDE, and does not work for XFCE. Have I missed something here? A search has not shown anything available.

PS: Gnome2 here, but probably moving to XFCE (Xubuntu) after Ubuntu 10.04 loses support.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular
 
Posts: 461
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 8:18 pm
Location: Oxfordshire.

Postby roseway » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:17 pm

ajgreeny wrote:I am aware of the menu editor for LXDE, lxmed, which works extremely well, and looks just like alacarte, but it is only for LXDE, and does not work for XFCE. Have I missed something here? A search has not shown anything available.


Lxmed is what I was referring to. There are some people on the debian forum who say that it works with XFCE (and some who say it doesn't :) ). See http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71586

That being said, I tried it on a new XFCE 4.8 installation and it didn't work for me (I couldn't edit anything).
Eric
roseway
LXF regular
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:27 pm

Postby SpecialStuff » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:25 pm

Well it was Gnome 3 all the way for me until Ubuntu 11.10. Loving Unity.
User avatar
SpecialStuff
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:06 am

Postby ajgreeny » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:24 pm

roseway wrote:
ajgreeny wrote:I am aware of the menu editor for LXDE, lxmed, which works extremely well, and looks just like alacarte, but it is only for LXDE, and does not work for XFCE. Have I missed something here? A search has not shown anything available.


Lxmed is what I was referring to. There are some people on the debian forum who say that it works with XFCE (and some who say it doesn't :) ). See http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71586

That being said, I tried it on a new XFCE 4.8 installation and it didn't work for me (I couldn't edit anything).

No, it didn't work for me either. Great in Lubuntu, but not Xubuntu.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular
 
Posts: 461
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 8:18 pm
Location: Oxfordshire.

Postby pastychomper » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:29 pm

Fluxbox all the way for me. I got converted to Blackbox back in the day when my box was just too slow for KDE (at least for Mandrake's interpretation of it). Then having got used to the Slit, and moved to Fluxbox with its tabbed windows, I haven't really looked for or found anything better.
pastychomper
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:54 am

Postby Bruno » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:40 pm

KDE for the win! Like many I thought 4.0 was a bit ropey but then we were told this by KDE themselves. However, since 4.3 I've found it stable, usable and very presentable. Although some of the default presentation settings offered in recent versions are starting to grate, I can get it looking how I like it very quickly and easily. Forgive the flame bait, but I find it much prettier than Gnome/GTK based desktops.
User avatar
Bruno
LXF regular
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:07 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:46 pm

Unity on all my PCs except my Mythbuntu box, which is XFCE
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

*************** ************
User avatar
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular
 
Posts: 3465
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:41 pm
Location: Birmingham, UK

Next

Return to Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest