ow to copy Cover Disk to Usb drive

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

ow to copy Cover Disk to Usb drive

Postby Cushie » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:52 pm

I'm sure this topic must have been covered but I get no results from the 'search' box.

I like use my AoA netbook for reading articles and trying out new distros. Instead of burning a distro from an iso file I would like to boot the coverdisk but have no attached DVD ROM!

How can I copy the DVD to a USB stick using another computer and be able to boot from that and be able to read the articles? I have tried 'dd' but not got the parameters correct yet and had to reformat the drive to get it back in use.
Cushie

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:24 pm

Try Unetbootin.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:34 am

Subject to correction by someone who knows different, dd won't work with an iso designed to give a bootable CD/DVD - the structure is wrongly set up, and is designed for CD. Unetbootin will get the correct structure in place.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby Cushie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:41 pm

Thank you for your suggestions Dutch_Master and 'dandnsmith' I have tried Unetbootin with the latest Lxf dvd 152 and is will copy/install an iso file on the dvd eg Fedora/Gnome Live, which is there as an iso file, but I can't get it to copy the whole dvd so that I could use it on the netbook.
Cushie

Postby nelz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:16 pm

Unetbootin expects an ISO image to work from. You could try giving /dev/dvd as the name of the ISO image in Unetbootin. It should work, although I've not tried it. If it doesn't, copy the DVD to an ISO image with
Code: Select all
cp /dev/dvd lxf.iso

and tell Unetbootin to use that.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!