Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reinstalling Windows
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular


Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:37 pm
Posts: 180

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reinstalling Windows Reply with quote

Due to problems with downloading music and playing videos I've decided to install Windows again, whilst keeping Linux for everything else.

I purchased an XP Professional disk from ebay, it arrived this morning and it looks like I've wasted my money. It's a re-installation CD. On the CD it states 'operating system already installed on your computer, the software is already installed on your computer (Dell CD) use this media only to reinstall the op system. This CD is not for re-installation of progs or drivers.'

I went ahead anyway and inserted the disk and rebooted. An error message: INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 32768. Setup cannot continue.

I realise I am on a Linux forum but if anyone can help me with this that would be great. I hope I haven't wasted my money, there was no mention that this was a re-installation CD.

Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spangwiches



Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:50 am
Posts: 81

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe those Dell re-installation CDs rely on there being a restore partition on the hard drive. i.e. all the CD really does is initiate the process of copying files etc. from the restore partition.

I don't know if that is always the case, so your problem may be different, but it's definitely the way it is sometimes.

It does sound a bit like you've wasted your money. But, given that buying an XP disc from ebay is no more legal than torrenting yourself a disc, if you feel that you own a license to use XP you might be best just ... sourcing yourself one elsewhere.

Or fixing music and video on Linux! (what's the problem?)
_________________
http://uoou.info/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular


Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:37 pm
Posts: 180

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spangwiches wrote:
I believe those Dell re-installation CDs rely on there being a restore partition on the hard drive. i.e. all the CD really does is initiate the process of copying files etc. from the restore partition.

I don't know if that is always the case, so your problem may be different, but it's definitely the way it is sometimes.

It does sound a bit like you've wasted your money. But, given that buying an XP disc from ebay is no more legal than torrenting yourself a disc, if you feel that you own a license to use XP you might be best just ... sourcing yourself one elsewhere.

Or fixing music and video on Linux! (what's the problem?)


Doesn't sound good. Smile

Apparently, I have to download drivers from HP to facilitate this. I must have thrown away the original disks. I've tried that and of course the site doesn't recognise Linux.

Looks like I'll have to buy XP from PC World etc.

I've been trying to download music on to my iPhone using iTunes. And I can't play video except on youtube.

Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spangwiches



Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:50 am
Posts: 81

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the PC came with XP then you've got a license to use it on that machine, don't go buying it again! Just source yourself the installation media (I'm skirting around saying something here as I'm not sure what's tolerated) and use that. And use the serial from your original license (if you can find it).

iTunes I don't know about, never really used it. For videos (outside a browser) I just use VLC which handles pretty much anything.
_________________
http://uoou.info/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular


Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:37 pm
Posts: 180

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spangwiches wrote:
If the PC came with XP then you've got a license to use it on that machine, don't go buying it again! Just source yourself the installation media (I'm skirting around saying something here as I'm not sure what's tolerated) and use that. And use the serial from your original license (if you can find it).

iTunes I don't know about, never really used it. For videos (outside a browser) I just use VLC which handles pretty much anything.


The PC came with Vista originally.

I understand that it's a dodgy subject regarding licensing etc. If I can source installation media for Vista I can hopfeully do that. Is the serial number the product key? Is that the same thing? I have that sticker at least still on the side of the tower. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spangwiches



Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:50 am
Posts: 81

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The PC came with Vista originally.


T_T

But yeah. If you happen to find the installation disc and it's either one of those installation discs which contain every version (home/premium/fries with that?/whatever) or one which matches the version it came with then yeah, you should be able to just put in the product key from the sticker. I think.


But I suspect fixing the music/video troubles in linux would be simpler in the long run. Vista is a real pain in the arse.
_________________
http://uoou.info/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
towy71
Moderator


Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:11 pm
Posts: 4257
Location: wild West Wales

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dell disk does indeed require the recovery partition, and if you must get windows7 like this (not that I approve of you spending any money with either Amazon or Microparp Wink Rolling Eyes )
_________________
still looking for that door into summer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ram
LXF regular


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:44 pm
Posts: 1667
Location: Guisborough

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That XP disk can be used to install XP, and XP only (Hence the ' The software is already installed on your computer. Only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell computer' warning) i.e. no add on programs like the 60 day office trials etc. However, I believe your XP disk is dirty at least or corrupt at worst.

The file txtsetup.sif should be in D:\I386 where D is your DVD Drive. File size is 466kb.

Even if the disk just needs a clean you have the problem of not having a valid XP license key.
_________________

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
nelz
Site admin


Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:52 pm
Posts: 8449
Location: Warrington, UK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to Other OS, for the obvious reason.
_________________
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular


Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:37 pm
Posts: 180

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram wrote:
That XP disk can be used to install XP, and XP only (Hence the ' The software is already installed on your computer. Only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell computer' warning) i.e. no add on programs like the 60 day office trials etc. However, I believe your XP disk is dirty at least or corrupt at worst.

The file txtsetup.sif should be in D:\I386 where D is your DVD Drive. File size is 466kb.

Even if the disk just needs a clean you have the problem of not having a valid XP license key.


What do I do about the txtsetup.sif?

The disk came with the COA is that not the license key?

I'll try cleaning the disk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular


Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:37 pm
Posts: 180

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
The Dell disk does indeed require the recovery partition, and if you must get windows7 like this (not that I approve of you spending any money with either Amazon or Microparp Wink Rolling Eyes )


If it requires the recovery partition, is there anything I can do?

I'd like Windows 7, but won't throw good money after bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular


Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:37 pm
Posts: 180

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've emailed the seller and he mentions about getting LAN drivers. He's going to send them to me, but how will that work when I can't get past the initial install?

I contacted the HP forum for advice and a reply states that it's Linux not recognising something or other and to boot to recovery and do a Fixmbr. Does that mean anything to anyone?

If I do actually get this disk to work when it installs will it ask me how I want to partition?

Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ram
LXF regular


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:44 pm
Posts: 1667
Location: Guisborough

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWizardofOdds wrote:
Ram wrote:
That XP disk can be used to install XP, and XP only (Hence the ' The software is already installed on your computer. Only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell computer' warning) i.e. no add on programs like the 60 day office trials etc. However, I believe your XP disk is dirty at least or corrupt at worst.

The file txtsetup.sif should be in D:\I386 where D is your DVD Drive. File size is 466kb.

Even if the disk just needs a clean you have the problem of not having a valid XP license key.



What do I do about the txtsetup.sif?


You could try and make a copy of the CD on you Linux system, if the disk is corrupt or to dirty/scratched then the copy will fail.

TheWizardofOdds wrote:
The disk came with the COA is that not the license key?


If the COA # is 25 charactors long it maybe.

TheWizardofOdds wrote:
I'll try cleaning the disk.


I use washing up liquid, rinse with cold, pat dry and then buff with a spectacles cleaning cloth.
_________________

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular


Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:37 pm
Posts: 180

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some advice from the HP forum:

mputer and has been used, close all open Windows to restart theHard drive is detected
Use the following procedure to repair the file system on the hard drive:

Turn off the computer and wait at least 5 seconds with the computer in a full off state.
Turn on the computer and press the F8 key repeatedly as the computer starts.
An "Advanced Boot Options" screen opens if the system partition on the hard drive is still good.
NOTE:If the "Advanced Boot Options" screen does not open, use a recovery disc. Insert the first recovery disc into the drive and turn on the computer. From the Recovery Manager main screen, select Advanced Options , and select Microsoft Startup Repair , and click Next . Skip to step 8.
Select Repair Your Computer and press Enter .
Select a keyboard layout that matches your country/region and click Next .
When the login prompt appears, select the user name with Administrator rights (not Administrator) from the User Name drop down. The user name with Administrator rights is most likely the first user name that was entered during the initial computer setup.
Type the logon password into the Password field and then click OK .
NOTE: If you do not know the password, leave the Password field blank and click OK . If you are unable to get past the password window, notify the system administrator for the password or perform a system recovery to restore the system to its previous state.
A System Recovery Options window opens.
Figure 2: System Recovery Options
Click Startup Repair .
A Startup Repair window opens and automatically scans for startup problems.
Figure 3: Startup Repair
Perform the actions suggested by Startup Repair: system restore, correct damaged or missing files, or other action.
NOTE:A window may appear stating that Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically. If an Internet connection is active, click Send information about this problem to help Microsoft better understand and react to these issues. Otherwise, continue to the next step.
After Startup Repair has been used, try to open Windows.
If Windows Vista opens, you are done.
If Windows Vista does not open, perform the first portion of this section again to open the Startup Recovery Options window and continue.
From the Startup Recovery Options window, click Command Prompt .
NOTE:If you had to use recovery discs to run Startup repair, press ALT + D at the Advanced Recovery Options screen to open a command prompt.
Enter the following at the command prompt:
bootrec /fixboot
Enter the following at the command prompt:
bootrec /fixmbr
Figure 4: Command console
After the bootrec tool coopen Windows.

Any thoughts on this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ram
LXF regular


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:44 pm
Posts: 1667
Location: Guisborough

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wont work, if I understand you correctly you currently don't have a PC with Windows installed.
_________________

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Linux Format forums topic RSS feed 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


Copyright 2011 Future Publishing, all rights reserved.


Web hosting by UKFast