UK Science/tech show

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

UK Science/tech show

Postby JoeyC » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:21 pm

Tech heads.

A while ago (probably in the 90s) there was a British program on Dutch television. I've been trying to find it again but I can't remember the title or any of its presenters names, or if it was a bbc/channel 4/itv/.. show. I've been googling some evenings but to no avail, so I'm hoping there's some tech head here who knows what I mean.

It was a program that explained the way things work, things we use every day. It was presented by a curly dude (in this 40s I guess) with glasses, and his bearded sidekick (who did not say much if anything at all).

They explained things by demonstration, set in a shed filled with whatever one can collect in a shed in terms of tooling and parts of this and that. For example, when explaining the diesel engine, he'd pour a bit of oil in a cylinder, put the piston down and then gave it a blow with a big hammer, causing the oil to explode (and the hammer nearly being thrown in his face). Another episode he explaned a tape recorder, putting iron rust on some paper with some glue, and actually recorded his own voice with it.

There was also some background info on the subject, in the form of a black and white pen drawing cartoon. Usually with a bit of a comic twist.

I think there were 6 episodes, but I could be wrong here. Other subjects he covered as I remember: the vacuum cleaner, fax, slingshot, ..

I'd love to see it again and my son is about my age when I first watched it and I'm sure he'd love it, too.

Do any of you know? Any suggestions where I could look? I've tried all sorts of combinations of above topics in Google, but it hasn't surfaced yet.

Joe
[VGVtcHVzIEZ1Z2l0]
JoeyC

Postby MartyBartfast » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Sounds like http://www.open.edu/openlearn/whats-on/ou-on-the-bbc-science-shack

I think you may be mixing up the presenters, the 'curly dude' was the assistant (Marty Jopson) who didn't say much and is also beardy, the main man was Adam Hart-Davis who was probably pushing 60 but did wear glasses.
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby JoeyC » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:42 pm

That I know, that's not it.. the show I'm looking for is more low budget than science shack. Which makes me think its not a BBC show.

J
[VGVtcHVzIEZ1Z2l0]
JoeyC

Postby External_Floppy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:35 pm

Hi Joey,

Could it be The Secret Life of Machines?

http://youtu.be/YFRkhUMYiaY

:)
Linux: Open your mind, not your wallet.
External_Floppy

Postby Rhakios » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:42 pm

Judging by the cartoons, I'm guessing you're right. Do you win a prize? ;)

Edit: Oh look, all three series are available to view on line.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby External_Floppy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:02 pm

Didn't look at the cartoons before.

I have now...

Sweet Lord! :shock: :lol:
External_Floppy

Postby JoeyC » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:14 pm

Could it be The Secret Life of Machines?

The Secret Life of Machines! Fabulous, that's it! You win my last copy of Win95, let me know which bulletin board you're on and I'll fax it on to you :)

Thanks for the tip, Floppy. I've watched the episode on combustion engines, It's all I expected (remembered) it to be. It'll keep me happy for a couple of rainy nights :)

J
[VGVtcHVzIEZ1Z2l0]
JoeyC

Postby External_Floppy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:33 pm

Glad I could help.

Enjoy. :)
External_Floppy

Return to Off Topic