Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cinnamon is coming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tandyn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Cinnamon is coming Reply with quote

Has anyone tried Cinnamon (http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/) yet? I have read Linux Mints blog on it and it used it for a bit in VB. It looks like it is shaping up to be what Gnome 3 should have been, imho.
SpecialStuff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting, but for me Gnome 3 + Shell is awesome on its own.
chris0161

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have tried Cinnamon and it looks like a step in the right direction for those who want a more traditional desktop layout.

However one of my main problems with Gnome 3 is it breaks Compiz and as Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome 3 it will not fix this (although lead developer Clem is looking into this I believe)

I still can't believe the developers of Gnome 3 built a new desktop which breaks Compiz.

Decided last night I've had enough of Gnome/Unity for the time being and going over to Linux Mint 12 KDE as KDE has Compiz type features built in.

Not putting the Gnome 3 team down, fair play for trying something new, its just not for me. I miss the cube and wobbly windows.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've tried it. It seems pretty usable, though it seems I don't understand how multiple desktops work any more... something I'll need to look into.

Edit: still don't understand it, it seems that I am not allowed to control how many desktops I have and what applications I have on them... back to XFCE.
tandyn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully they get the Compiz and desktop switcher worked out. XFCE is OK but it isn't working out for me. I do not like the feel of Gnome 3 and shell but I do like the progress that was made with it. I am not a stickler for 'the old way', I just like less mouse clicks to get where I want to be. If I was, I would still be using the command line for everything. Hope to see good thinks come out of this project, he did good with Mint, FTMP.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: