Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ubuntu Rocks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLiquidator

I've only looked at Kubuntu in the sense that I installed Ubuntu and then got KDE with apt (something like apt get kubuntu desktop??). And I thought it was okay, but then it is quite hard to find a Linux distro which has nothing to recommend it nowadays.

I can't say have noticed MCC being especially slow (but then it is an old computer anyway, so I expect it to be slow), nor have I tried kooka on Mandriva, as my scanner is attached to a SuSE box and I prefer Xsane (don't know if it works with OCR as I mostly use it for scanning photos).

Where Mandriva 2006 has worked best for me is in updating, the GUI version of update actually works! With 2005LE I frequently found that it would report that package signatures had failed, but this was because only the file headers, not the complete packages had been downloaded. Also KDE start-up, while not quick anyway, would often hang for unreasonable amounts of time, this is not a problem I have had with 2006.
wumessiah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I have to say as a newbie to Linux Ubuntu absolutely rocks. In just a few short days (2 to be precise) I have managed to get all my wireless gear on my laptop working, sound is awesome and have managed to actually get applications to launch via WINE. Not only that, but I have even managed to get VMWARE for Linux working on version 5.10 (but not without my fair share of drama!) Nevertheless, I feel like Darth Vader at the very end when he decides to leave evil for the sake of humanity. I have a suspicious feeling even Bill Gates uses this instead of Windows at home! I will say this though, perhaps the next major project for Ubuntu should be to include a system tool such as YAST2 in SUSE which is a central point for everything configurable (just for Newbies like me who need simplicity). This weekend I format the server and officially remove all windows from home - wish me luck!
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh alright then, luck!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: