Problem with Mint 12

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Problem with Mint 12

Postby norm.h » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:14 pm

I tried to do a clean install of Linux Mint 12 from the latest Linux Format cover disc on my AMD 64 laptop, running Ubuntu 10.10.

During the installation I noticed a time lag of several seconds between mouse movement and pointer response, and a similar issue when typing.
Once installed and updated, these faults persisted.

I then downloaded and installed a 64 bit CD version of Linux Mint, but the issues remained and also apply to the touchpad.

If it's relevant, the on-board video is ATI Radeon X1200 with 3D/2D graphic accelerator.

Extract from: lshw

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]
vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
physical id: 5
bus info: pci@0000:01:05.0
version: 00
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=radeon latency=64
resources: irq:18

What could be wrong, and what, if anything, can I do about it?

EDIT: for the time being I've gone back to Ubuntu 10.04, and all is OK
norm.h

Postby norm.h » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:34 pm

Please excuse the bump, but here's the story so far.

I have an xplora e16 laptop, on which I tried to do a clean install of Linux Mint 12 from a Linux Format DVD cover disc.
As I posted here: http://forum.novatech.co.uk/showthre...mouse-response, I had issues.

In addition to my downloaded 64 bit CD, I downloaded a 32 bit version, and today I have tried all 3 media as a Live CD with the following results.

While the DVD and the 32bit CD were installing I got a string of errors showing: ERROR EDID checksum is invalid, remainder is 64 (or other numbers)
Mint 12 installed eventually from both discs, but the pointer was still sticking for up to 12 seconds, almost as though it was waiting for memory to catch up.

I then tried the 64bit CD which failed to install at all, showing Disc Error 80, AX=4200 drive 9f, whatever all that means!
Googling Disc Error 80 didn't help.

Any help will be much appreciated.
norm.h

Postby Dutch_Master » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Linux support for ATI drivers is poor. Actually, it should read as: ATI doesn't really care for Linux drivers for their products.... Hopes were that with AMD in charge of ATI now, Linux support would have picked up.

Alas.... :roll:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Return to Help!