Linux Format DVD 155 Ubuntu 11.10 install issue

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linux Format DVD 155 Ubuntu 11.10 install issue

Postby UncleDraken » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi chaps!
I recently decided to give Linux a go since realising just how insecure Windows actually is! Im fairly good with computers having built my own gaming rig a few years ago and studied Computing at college. However it's been a long time since I've had the opportunity to have a play around with PC's again.

So for my new Ubuntu install I bought a new 2tb Seagate Barracuda drive and plugged it into my PC ready to install Ubuntu from the cover disc. I boot from the disc, open Ubuntu and click install from the shortcut on the desktop. It goes through the language options and then computer naming, username and password setup etc and once all that is done theres nothing to do but watch the loading bar. I dont know if im just being impatient (I need to leave for work soon!), but this bar is not moving! Is it supposed to take this long?? Has this Ubiquity installer crashed? The little processing signal (same as Windows' hourglass version I'd imagine) is just going in circles.

I have tried interrupting the install with a forced reboot and starting the install from scratch, but it seems to be stuck in the same place again.

The hardware is pretty much a standard Dell Inspiron 540 except for this new drive and an upgraded graphics card.

Not such a great start to my Linux experience :( Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Draken
Your private data has become a commodity!
More info at:
http://therevolutionwillbedigitised.com/
UncleDraken

Postby jonrob » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:07 pm

Hi Draken,

Sorry to hear about your problem.

How long have you waited already? It can take some time, but you can usually at least see progress being made! If you haven't already, maybe leave it for 1/2 hour or so to see how it gets on.

Otherwise, it would be good to try and get a little more information.

For starters, if you change the theme to Ambiance (by clicking on 'Live Session User' > System Settings > Appearance and looking at the bottom of the window) that will remove the pink, and let you see information about what Ubiquity is trying to do when the bar stops moving. This will let us narrow down the problem a little further.

In particular, with a 2Tb disk, it could take a fair while for the partitions and filesystems to be created.

If you try that and let us know how you get on, we can then take it from there :-)

Good luck,

Jon
jonrob
Site admin

Postby UncleDraken » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:55 pm

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the quick reply.
When I started this topic it had been stuck for over an hour. I left it on when i left for work in case it was just taking ages to format the drive and now that I'm home I see no extra progress has been made. Changing the theme like you suggested shows me that it seems to be stuck on 'Creating user'.

It doesnt seem to have gotten very far with the install at all![/img]
More info at:
UncleDraken

Postby jonrob » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:59 am

I've had a little look around the internet for people with a similar problem. One thing that's come up is that selecting 'encrypt home partition' can cause this problem. Did you select that option during installation? If you did, try installing again without that option selected.

Another possibility I've seen suggested is that it's struggling to read the disc. Do you have a decent internet connection available and DVD writer? It might be worth trying to download the official Ubuntu installation image and installing with that. You can get it from http://www.ubuntu.com/download.

Good luck,
jonrob
Site admin

Postby UncleDraken » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks Jon! Problem solved! It was the 'encrypt home partition' option. After unchecking that box it installed very quickly.

Thanks for your help! I wouldn't even have thought of that.

Now for some Linux exploring :D
More info at:
UncleDraken

Return to Help!