Android gaming console? OUYA!

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Android gaming console? OUYA!

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:39 pm

I am somewhat surprised that I haven't seen this mentioned hereabouts. I saw it on Nixie Pixel's GeekBuzz vlog and have seen it mentioned again since in several places.
It's a gaming platform and it's supposed to be openly hackable (to some degree at least), so I'd think it would appeal to some around here.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nordle » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Ahhhh Nixie. I have to resist the urge to stalk her via Facebook, Twitter, the telegraph poll across the street from her apartment.

Thankfully I haven't been drunk and near my phone or PC.

But back OT. What amazes me, $4m and for what? I really, really hope this thing pans out. But what stops anyone making up some BS.
eg
I'm going to make a teleportation device for $49, please pledge $10,000 and I'll name it after you.
Then after some months..... ahh yes, its not $49, but $999.
Then after some more months......ahh yes, its not a teleportation device exactly, more like my mum's knackered Yugo car. But thanks for the $4m, goodbye.

I may be too old and cynical.

Funnily enough, I was thinking a year or so ago that Venture Capitalists shouldn't have it all their own way, and if you had a much wider access to much smaller amounts, we could all get involved and projects might be more likely to succeed.
Then I found out I was about 5 years behind the world. :)

According to Kickstarter, the credit cards don't get charged until the project succeeds in meeting its funding goal. I can't see what the funding goal is exactly.

Anyway, that's not what Rhakio's post was about.

Yes, it looks very cool with a scary low price.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:35 pm

nordle wrote:But what stops anyone making up some BS.
eg
I'm going to make a teleportation device for $49, please pledge $10,000 and I'll name it after you.
Then after some months..... ahh yes, its not $49, but $999.
Then after some more months......ahh yes, its not a teleportation device exactly, more like my mum's knackered Yugo car. But thanks for the $4m, goodbye.

In any event, you're only committed to the amount of your pledge, what happens if it all goes TU is the same as for any other speculative venture.

I may be too old and cynical.

There's no waiting list, welcome to the club, the door's always open, though it does have a tendency to whack you on the backside on the way out.

According to Kickstarter, the credit cards don't get charged until the project succeeds in meeting its funding goal. I can't see what the funding goal is exactly.

Tells you at the top, $950,000 in this case. If you read down far enough, it tells you what they want it for:

We've come a long way already. The user interface and industrial designs are far along. Our prototype is up and running. What we have left to do is simple, but it's expensive. (We’re looking at you Mark Cuban! Woz! Help us out.)
All we need is you.

With your help, we need to:

Convert our prototype to production-ready models and get all the regulatory approvals (yeah, we need these to sell them)
Deliver developer kits (for early developers so we can have games on day one, though every console will include an SDK once we launch)
Place our first production orders (we are working with a manufacturing firm with lots of game hardware experience, but we need to know how many to make!)
Ideally, fund some initial game development (i.e., 1st-party games)

I signed up for a Pebble on Kickstarter, that's all I can afford gadget-wise this year. It'll be interesting to see what happens in this country now Kickstarter is going to start supporting UK projects. But now I'm going off topic... it's like entropy or summat.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby leke » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:06 am

Since they have smashed their target amount (and it's still early days) I can't see it being anything other than a reality. I for one are one of the biggest misers around, and I can confidently say, I will buy one if it is less than 150 euros -- although I hear it will be more like 100 euros. Therefor I predict it will be a smash hit worldwide :P
leke
LXF regular

Return to Discussion