Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Java - A four letter word. :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
External_Floppy

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But in my humble, but informed opinion, Java's place for a Linux user is very much undermined by better performing more technically able languages, like C and C++...

If it were not so, there'd be a Java based operating system, maybe even the Linux Kernel ported to it Laughing but there's not, and so it has a limited place.

I totally understand that and respect you have programming knowledge way above mine (I'm an eternal noobie), but then surely if LXF only focused on the 'more technically able' languages then there wouldn't be an endless barrage of Python/PHP/MYSQL tutorials. Oh, and as far as I know the Linux Kernel isn't in Python either. Smile

I was just curious as to why, in all my years of LFX reading, Java's never been touched upon? Regardless of its capabilities and limitations.
nicephotog

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In hind-sight of all of that and reading over a few articles here and remembering the articles on LXF , i suppose it has never been actually relevent in someones view at LXF.

What may be relevent now is OpenJDK 7 open source java , but , i don't understand(either) why not since if this magazine ever focused on Java it would do so about programming "Jakarta Tomcat JSP/Servlet server"(A Java Apache server).

I wonder if LXF could see it clear to jumping past cgi-bin to Jakarta about the Tomcat, of bundled with many Linux distro flavours is an ordinary Apache http/https server.

I don't stretch myself as far as certificates and https but that finally for small business building scalable portable sites for trade is the final goal, with security and identity.

I'd say Perl/bash/PHP were more relevent , but the Jakarta Tomcat Apache Javaserver in the web server world is nothing to throw aside to another platform idea.

Interesting to mention it about LXF.(note: having used java for Linux it has its minor differences but is in no way stranded because it not in Windows, its the size and quality multi-national companys produce the stuff).
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: