Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No sound from Ububtu 11.10 and all derivatives

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenmk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: No sound from Ububtu 11.10 and all derivatives Reply with quote

Sound is failing to work on any Live CD/Installation of Ubuntu 11.10 and all derivatives thereof.

It seems that the hardware detection is failing. I have an on-board sound card - Windows says AC97 from Realtec - and built-in speakers, but the only option on the Sound configuration that tries (and fails) to work is for headphones. There is another option which I think should work, but as soon as I try the Test Speakers option I am forced back to the headphone - no amplifier.

I have tried plugging in some amplified external speakers to the headphone socket - but still no sound.

The problem started after an in place update from Mint 11 to Mint 12. The mess this made was so severe that I had no sound from anything. Even a re-installation of XP had no sound until I added the original Compaq drivers!!!!!

Mint 11 is back and has sound with both on-board speakers and the external ones working.

The laptop is an old original Centrino machine from Compaq, a Presario B1800. Windows reports the sound card as a Realtec AC97 device.

How do I get recent Ubuntu releases to recognise this card properly?
kenmk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Since the first post I've installed the beta of Ubuntu 12.04. Something has changed, 'cos this has working sound. There must be some odd difference hidden away somewhere!!??
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely in the kernel.

Enjoy the Choice Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: