Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KDE Distro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linux_dan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: KDE Distro Reply with quote

Hi All,

I want to give a KDE distro a go....

What would you recommend? I have been messing with linux (Mint, Ubuntu) on and off for a while just mainly using it for web surfing but really want to start learning more in depth!

I tried Linux Mint 12 KDE tonight but this felt really buggy.

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks

Dan
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

openSUSE - the openSUSE download page also lists derivatives including a more up-to-date version of KDE than the default.
geekybodhi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still looking for a KDE distro, try the latest release of Chakra Linux (http://chakra-project.org/).

It's based on Arch Linux (no no, don't run away scared) and the latest release doesn't have a graphical package manager (no really, come back, stay with me).

The distro is the slickest that I have seen off late. If you are a purist you'd appreciate its default boot option that only loads free drivers. But since you are a new user I guess you'd prefer the other boot option which loads proprietary drivers. It works flawlessly on the laptop that I use for most of the reviews and articles (with AMD graphics, Atheros WiFi, Cando touchscreen).

And its lack of graphical package management is a bitter sweet thing (especially for you). Since you want to "learn" you can use Arch's pacman CLI package manager to get a grip on things. That said it's got a "Bundle Manager" tool that'll fetch and install popular apps such as Firefox, Thunderbird, FileZilla, Eclipse, GIMP, MySQL Workbench, with the press of a button.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Linux Mint 12 (standard MGSE edition), with KDE installed over it. No problems. Works fine.

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
Nuke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Mepis Reply with quote

I have been using OpenSuse for a while but it is a bit fussy about proprietary drivers. That is, it will install a open source driver even when a better proprietary one is available.

You may agree with that, but I lost patience with my latest update of Suse when trying to re-install a driver from NVidia was a complete foul-up, and judging by the OpenSuse forums I am not the only one with the problem.

So I am currently trying Mepis (11.0), who's motto is "It just works". It tends to be touted as a beginners distro, which has put me off, and indeed some aspects of it are a bit too simple for what I am used to. Eg the install tends to put most stuff in one partition, but I can sort that out later.

But as they say, everything just worked. It even put in the right printer driver - goodness knows how as the printer is across a network and switched off at the time.

A huge time saving compared with Suse [and see interesting discussion right now at at http://www.linuxformat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14740].

I always prefer a distro where KDE is its native desktop. You can put KDE on Mint, Ubuntu etc but I feel that a native KDE distro will have given it more tlc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: