Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Released

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Rhakios » Wed May 02, 2012 10:58 pm

Not having any such trouble with Xubuntu.
An upgraded 11.10 is a little slower booting than I expected, but this upgraded beta version (which I'm using atm) seems fine.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nordle » Thu May 03, 2012 12:15 am

SpecialStuff wrote:I want Ubuntu to be awesome, but it often lets me down. Everyone seems to be saying on the forums how much better performance is than 11.10, but that was excellent for me where this release isn't. :(

I've had the same experience as you with Ubuntu, pretty much since Warty Warthog. But things seemed to settle down around 10.10. But as with so much in the software world (and particularly OSS), those ducks don't stay in row for very long.

I have to say I do like Unity. I just wish there was a bit more stability and fewer bugs.

For some reason I've always had SIGSERV segfaults with Gnome based apps, Ryhthmbox, Brasero, Nautilus etc
I remember running Slackware and KDE 3 for 5 years without ANY crashes. But then KDE 4 arrived and I couldn't get on with it.

Wow, this really does sound like a "in my day" post :)

Fingers crossed the next 8-12 weeks will iron out the most serious issues and we'll have an excellent OS and platform to build on. Maybe 12.04.1 will be the best install you've ever made.

Until then, Xubuntu is probably the way forward.

EDIT:
Looking at htop, I can see that doing anything involving a graphical move (menu auto-hiding for example) has CPU usage across 4 cores shooting up to 20%
Admittedly they are underclocked to 1600MHZ, but even still, this with binary nvidia driver installed as well.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby leke » Thu May 03, 2012 6:50 am

Performance has been fast. There is one annoying bug I forgot to mention. The OS always starts with minimum brightness and the brightness hardkeys are not functioning correctly. I have to manually adjust the brightness after every restart :roll:
leke
LXF regular

Postby SpecialStuff » Sat May 12, 2012 5:42 pm

Well I'm glad I decided to sit it out a bit and see if things got better. A couple of updates later and everything's much better. I still find Firefox a bit annoying, but that's just Firefox, and I'm sort of testing the water a bit with Chrome and finding it much better. So despite initial reservations, I'm now massively enjoying 12.04. :)
SpecialStuff

Postby nordle » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:36 am

My main desktop was an upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04, wasn't entirely without issue.

But, a note to the positive. Due to the guarantee of excessive precipitation that combining a double bank holiday would bring, I went down to my parents to upgrade their PC + Laptop from 10.04 32-bit to 12.04 64-bit.

In the end, I settled on taking a backup of the .evolution folder and the bogofilter wordlist.db file that had been built up over last couple of years and just doing a fresh install with a restore of those files/directories afterwards.

Having wiped the drive, I then found that you can export evolutions settings and mail using its inbuilt processes.....ooops. Thankfully it recognised that .evolution was in the old mbox format and just converted it automagically to maildir. The filters are all in place (spam + clamav). Worked a treat. :)
The canon mp640 combined printer/scanner worked out the box.
#winning

I didn't get round to doing the laptop. But was really pleased with how well the PC had gone..... and was too busy watching the Isle of Man TT.

Back home, and buoyed by the success of this 32 to 64bit maneuver. I did the same thing on my MythTV box.
Went from 0.24 Mythbuntu 11.10 32bit to MythTV 0.25, Mythbuntu 12.04 64-bit in less than an hour.
Keeping all my old recordings and 95% of settings.
I was a little apprehensive as the latest LXF mag had shown the esteemed editor battling with MythTV 0.25 and giving it 2/10 for ease of use.
In this case, it really was very simple (compared to back in the day).

Clean Install of Mythbuntu, keeping old database

http://www.mythbuntu.org/Upgrading

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Bac ... g_database

Backup
/etc/mythtv
/etc/lirc
/etc/rc.local
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
/home/mythtvuser/bin
/home/mythtvuser/.mplayer

# Create backup of MythTV 0.24 database
echo "DBBackupDirectory=/media/backup/0.24/mysql" > ~/.mythtv/backuprc

./mythconverg_backup.pl --verbose

Install new Mythbuntu

sudo service mythtv-backend stop

./mythconverg_restore.pl --verbose --drop_database --create_database --directory /media/backup/0.24/mysql --filename mythconverg-1264-20120605221226.sql.gz

sudo service mythtv-backend start

Restore backed up files + mess around with new settings in MythTV Control Centre, such as add the 0.25 fixes repo.

Run mythbackend-setup and delete the TV channels, DVB cards and XMLTV source. Add them back in.

mythfilldatabase and thats it. Everything working nicely :)

The only thing I noticed at my parents that was really silly. Sound-Juicer and Rhythmbox have encoder profiles for MP3, Ogg Vorbis and Flac. But you can no longer edit these settings (such as bitrate). The button to edit is either greyed out or taken away.

Instead it now requires a rediculous hoop jumping excersise of creating custom gstreamer presets and editing various files

eg, we have gone from this:
Code: Select all
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc mode=0 quality=0 vbr=new vbr-min-bitrate=256 vbr-max-bitrate=320 vbr-quality=0 ! id3v2mux

audio/x-raw-float,rate=44100,channels=2 ! vorbisenc name=enc quality=0.9 ! oggmux

audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! flacenc name=enc quality=7

to this:

Code: Select all
sudo ln -sf /usr/share/rhythmbox/rhythmbox.gep /usr/share/sound-juicer/rhythmbox.gep

sudo gedit /usr/share/rhythmbox/rhythmbox.gep

[GStreamer Encoding Target]
name = rhythmbox
category = muh
description = Common encoding profiles for Rhythmbox

[profile-mp3]
name = mp3
description = MP3
format = application/x-id3
type = container

[streamprofile-mp3-1]
parent = mp3
type = audio
format = audio/mpeg, mpegversion=1, layer=3
presence = 1
preset = MP3

[profile-oggvorbis]
name = oggvorbis
description = OGG
format = application/ogg
type = container

[streamprofile-oggvorbis-1]
parent = oggvorbis
type = audio
format = audio/x-vorbis
presence = 1
preset = OGG

[profile-flac]
name = flac
description = FLAC
format = audio/x-flac
type = audio

[streamprofile-flac-1]
parent = flac
type = audio
format = audio/x-flac
presence = 1
preset = FLAC

gst-inspect lamemp3enc

mkdir -p ~/.gstreamer-0.10/presets

gedit ~/.gstreamer-0.10/presets/GstLameMP3Enc.prs

[_presets_]
element-name=GstLameMP3Enc
version=0.10.18

[MP3]
name=lamemp3enc
perfect-timestamp=true
hard-resync=false
target=0
quality=0
encoding-engine-quality=2

OR

[MP3]
name=lamemp3enc
perfect-timestamp=true
hard-resync=false
target=1
bitrate=320
cbr=true
encoding-engine-quality=2

gst-inspect vorbisenc

gedit ~/.gstreamer-0.10/presets/GstVorbisEnc.prs

[_presets_]
element-name=GstVorbisEnc
version=0.10.36

[OGG]
name=vorbisenc
perfect-timestamp=true
hard-resync=false
quality=0.9

gst-inspect flacenc

gedit ~/.gstreamer-0.10/presets/GstFlacEnc.prs

[_presets_]
element-name=GstFlacEnc
version=0.10.31

[FLAC]
name=flacenc
perfect-timestamp=true
hard-resync=false
quality=7

And the FLAC option does nothing, and I can only make 1 preset per type. ie No MP3_HIGH, MP3_LOW etc
Sorry, I can make more presets, but Rhythmbox / Sound-Juicer won't use them. It really is poor.

Anyway. Apart from that, really liking Ubuntu 12.04
It looks great, works well, has some really nice integration, it's fast and seems stable.

Just the old mans laptop to do now :)
nordle
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:21 am

Interesting.
Having just upgraded my Myth box to a 1TB disk using clonezilla, I decided to reconnect the old 320GB disk and try an in-place upgrade as a test. All appeared to go well, until I got the "updating database " message. After that I ended up with a black screen. Alt-F2 got me out, I suspect that it will be solveable, but for now I'll stay on 11.10 Until I have time to do a fresh install.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:47 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Interesting.
Having just upgraded my Myth box to a 1TB disk using clonezilla, I decided to reconnect the old 320GB disk and try an in-place upgrade as a test. All appeared to go well, until I got the "updating database " message. After that I ended up with a black screen. Alt-F2 got me out, I suspect that it will be solveable, but for now I'll stay on 11.10 Until I have time to do a fresh install.

I'd like to have 1TB drive, I've only got 100GB free of the 500 that's in there. Just have to delete some stuff I guess.

I remember setting up MythTV in 2006 and spending a week on it.

Honestly, taking backups of core files (lirc, xorg etc) and using the MythTV backup and restore scripts meant a fresh install to a complete working system was less than an hour!
nordle
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:01 pm

Mha ha ha ha ha I have a 2tb. Still only got 37% free...

Also am I installing mythtv wrongly? I don't have a problem with installing and configuring it. Or has mythbuntu made it all nice and easy? Maybe practice makes perfect (I have to delete all my tuners, channels, etc each time I move between uni and home otherwise it goes realllllly weird on my)
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:18 pm

So far not got above 250Gb of files, but I am using it as a home server and security server with Zoneminder too, so I decided to expand it.

I don't use lirc, I use the devinput driver and edit the /lib/udev/rc_keymaps files
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:18 am

Found out what the black screen was, OpenGL issue.
Changed the theme painter to QT, all OK.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:48 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Found out what the black screen was, OpenGL issue.
Changed the theme painter to QT, all OK.

Good to hear.....weirdly I have to use OpenGL (using kernel Radeon driver), otherwise I get terrible video tearing.

The joys of consistent software...... then again, we are all running different setups.
nordle
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:15 pm

More the joys of diverse hardware, I am running an Nvidia card

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Discussion