Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Windows 8 Reply with quote

Seeing as Microsoft have been good enough to release a public beta, I decided to give it a go. It seems to work and isn't too bad on a VM with 2GB of ram.
The new interface is a bit weird and the whole thing seems like two disparate things (a touch screen interface and the old style desktop) bolted together. It seems they want you to have a Windows Live ID just to use the thing now as well, though I'm not too sure it's actually compulsory.
Having suffered years of mockery for putting shut-down behind a menu labelled Start, they have now decided to fix that by making it really hard to find. I believe the idea is that new machines with Windows 8 pre-installed will use the physical off switch. Still, nothing so simple should be so hard to find (I had to FWSE for it).
Configuring some of the demo apps looks to be pretty difficult too, I can't see how to change the weather widget from F to degrees C, ho hum. Asking me to tap to decide what happens when I insert a CD also indicates where they are heading, even though I was in the desktop view at the time.
Testing will continue.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my work colleagues have been playing too. Couldn't see a nice word in the whole day's discussion.

Apparently you have to RTFM before you can find out how to close an app. And if you leave too many open, when you open a new one the longest-used one closes silently. I tend to have pretty busy views onto my stuff that that take a while to set up, so I have no plans for a drive; test or any other kind.

Elsewhere we see a tentative 65% growth in Linux desktops over 9 months. Can't imagine why.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vista reborn Smile

Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a good old-fashioned lock up while trying to play some music...
...still, it's a beta, one can't expect something as radical as playing an mp3 to work OOTB.
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read a M$ puff piece several months back where they asserted that the new OS would be more touch/tablet friendly Rolling Eyes so it seems they have succeeded in following the rest of the lemmings Smile and also lost normal desktop functionality.

Enjoy the Choice Smile
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But M$ has never innovated, just been really good at marketing ideas stolen from others.

I expect they will succeed with Windows 8 and, if not, as with Vista, Windows 9 will be rushed out to put right the mistakes in Windows 8.
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lok1950 wrote:
OS would be more touch/tablet friendly

Yes cos clearly we are all going to have touch screen computers cos that is the way forward and no one wants to use a mouse and keyboard, what ancient technologies they are! We need "new" and "innovative" ideas!
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes Unity look almost professional
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyBaxman wrote:
Makes Unity look almost professional

True enough, I'm trying out the latest Ubuntu beta as well (it actually plays mp3s without locking up). While I still don't like Unity, at least the interface is fairly consistent, it hangs together pretty well as long as you don't stray too far from the default programs. Whereas, apart from the widgets that come with Windows 8, almost everything else drops you back to a traditional-looking desktop, except that the desktop doesn't have some of the features one is used to, like a program menu. Perhaps they could call it Windows Chimera, or more likely, Frankenstein's Monster. Rolling Eyes
Brian Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that they will be pushing a Kinect like device for desktops to allow gesture/voice control of Windows 8.

Presuming that people will have touch screen PCs in the future would be mental, even for Microsoft. Especially when they have an impressive bit of technology like Kinect, which they are helping business develop using the technology.
Nuke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows 8 Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
I can't see how to change the weather widget from F to degrees C, ho hum.

JFC, how long is it going to take for Fahrenheit to die? I know Windows is American, but back in about 1970 the temperature scale was chosen by the UK to be the first "Imperial to metric" transition, because it was so easy. 0 deg for ice, 100 deg for boiling water and 20 deg for a warm day in Celsius. Simple.

So anyone in the UK under their mid-60's was (supposedly) brought up with the Celsius standard. Yet the BBC still give Fahrenheit in their weather forecasts, last time I looked.

It is not as if the Fahrenheit scale were some traditional British thing like the yard : Fahrenheit was German, and frankly his scale was crazy.
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offically the US is a metric country has been since the 70's it just didn't get accepted by the peeple Shocked no PR drive by the GOV at the time or since so the peeple ignore the rest of the world which is not a new thing Rolling Eyes

Enjoy the Choice Smile
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you ask for points or font sizes to be converted to metric? Even so called 'metric' countries aren't fully metric.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, gentlefolk, this Other OS, not Off Topic.
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Windows 8 Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
I can't see how to change the weather widget from F to degrees C, ho hum.

Hi Rhakios

I've been playing around with Windows 8 for a couple of days and I'm sure by now you will have discovered how to change F to C but if not

With the Weather app open, hover your mouse over the bottom right-hand corner of the screen until the "Charms" bar appears (what an awful name !!). Select Settings, which will open up a Weather options bar. In that bar select Settings and under Units you can choose either F or C.

I've not had any problems playing mp3s in 8 but I do have it installed natively. Don't know if that makes a difference.

At the moment my main difficulty is trying to work out how to navigate my way around the o.s. Rolling Eyes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: