Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SSD Partition alignment guide (n00b freindly!)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustSomeGeek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: SSD Partition alignment guide (n00b freindly!)? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Until this morning i thought i was ready to install CentOS Server on it's shiny new SSD (Samsung 830 256).

Now though, i have spent hours reading up on partition alignment and trying to find out Erase Block Size and Page Size for this SSD and work out what to do with the info if i ever find it.

For something that is apparently really important, there doesn't seem to be anything helpful out there.

The CentOS Bible itself doesn't even mention SSDs :-/

Help?
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern SSD's come pre-aligned, so that shouldn't be an issue. Likewise, most modern OS's, especially Linux, also comes pre-aware of alignment issues on SSD's, so that also shouldn't much of a problem. Just put in the installation disk and have a go! Very Happy
JustSomeGeek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch_Master wrote:
Modern SSD's come pre-aligned, so that shouldn't be an issue. Likewise, most modern OS's, especially Linux, also comes pre-aware of alignment issues on SSD's, so that also shouldn't much of a problem. Just put in the installation disk and have a go! Very Happy

That's what i would have thought seeing as Linux is usually at the front with supporting new tech. But if you read some of this:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives#Partition_Alignment

http://ypl.com/ssd/apds05.html

...it does make me wonder what i am supposed to believe. I really don't want to set up my server and then find i need to start again from scratch because things slow to a crawl after a few weeks/months. :-/
jonrob
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Bothwick has just written a piece about partition alignment in issue 160. Although I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head, I think he says that modern versions of fdisk and partitioning tools do alignment without any fuss. The only note he makes it to make sure you set partitions in terms of size, e.g. 20M or 20G instead of in sectors etc.
JustSomeGeek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonrob wrote:
Neil Bothwick has just written a piece about partition alignment in issue 160. Although I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head, I think he says that modern versions of fdisk and partitioning tools do alignment without any fuss. The only note he makes it to make sure you set partitions in terms of size, e.g. 20M or 20G instead of in sectors etc.

Thanks for that. I don't have 160 yet, but if it's out i'll have a look tonight. I'll keep to proper sized chunks too.

Seeing as trim has been supported in Linux since 2008(?), i would have thought it would be a non-issue now anyway. But being a n00b myself, i tend to err on the side of caution and ask.

Unless i hear anything else, i'll just whack the OS on it tomorrow and hope for the best! Ignorance really is bliss. Smile
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, later versions of fdisk align to MiB (2048 block) boundaries, but on a new system I'd use a GPT partition table and avoid not only this issue but also all the crap with primary, extended and logical partitions.
JustSomeGeek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
Yes, later versions of fdisk align to MiB (2048 block) boundaries, but on a new system I'd use a GPT partition table and avoid not only this issue but also all the crap with primary, extended and logical partitions.

I just read the article (thanks jonrob), and came to a similar conclusion, but to use Parted for it. Perfect timing, as i wasn't going to get the mag 'till next week normally!

Thanks guys! Smile
JustSomeGeek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless i mis-understood the mag article, GParted does seem to have an alignment option after all:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=help-manual#gparted-specify-partition-alignment

I'll try this out on a VM tonight/tomorrow, as i'm really not comfortable with my dyslexic command line skills on a new OS with new file-systems & drives, and with no pictures. If it doesn't work (how will i know?), i'll have a play with Parted.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GParted willl do the job, but I'd still go with GPT partition tables (parted offers a choice of partition table type in the one program, unlike the fdisk family).
JustSomeGeek

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
GParted willl do the job, but I'd still go with GPT partition tables (parted offers a choice of partition table type in the one program, unlike the fdisk family).

Cheers Nelz. I've used GParted to set things up and it seems to be going well.
JustSomeGeek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the extra time to read up on LVM, so it's running on that now. Cheers! Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: