Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acer Aspire 5040 Wireless on/off issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnParr

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Acer Aspire 5040 Wireless on/off issue Reply with quote

I have an annoying issue with the wireless adapter in my Acer Aspire 5040. This laptop has a button on the front that lights up when the wireless adapter is powered on. Itís currently set up to run 4 operating systems:

Windows XP: Wireless works perfectly but it has to run at start-up a piece of Acer software (that sets the actions of several special keys) for the wireless adapter to power on.

Lucid Puppy 5.2: Wireless works perfectly. Wireless adapter powers on every boot.

Ubuntu 11.04: Wireless adapter powers on sometimes if booted from a shutdown state. If the adapter does not power on it is possible to get it to power on by performing a shutdown and restart. If I do this the adapter powers on during the shutdown process and remains on for the restart. This is 100% repeatable and wireless works perfectly from this point.

Ubuntu 12.04: The wireless adapter never powers on if booted from a shutdown state. The shutdown and restart workaround that gets it going under Ubuntu 11.04 does not work under Ubuntu 12.04. However it does work if I shutdown one of the other operating systems and restart Ubuntu 12.04.

Once the wireless adapter is powered on it always works fine so I donít think this is a networking driver issue. The intermittent behaviour under Ubuntu 11.04 suggests to me it might be a timing issue where something needs to happen before something else. Ubuntu 12.04 certainly boots much quicker than Ubuntu 11.04 but then I have only just installed it.

"rfkill list all" reports no blocks

The Wireless adapter is an Atheros AR5005G and uses the ath5k driver and something called acer_wmi.

There must be a Linux solution because Puppy works fine. I would be very grateful for any suggestions.
JohnParr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a partial solution to this problem. I had to go back to an earlier kernel. Everything still works with 3.0.36. Have not tried anything more recent yet.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: