159 cover disc failure with win7, cure please

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

159 cover disc failure with win7, cure please

Postby norryP » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:41 pm

HI I have tried to install the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS from the 159 cover disc alongside Windows 7 on a Toshiba Satellite C650. It seemed to go well, I ejected the disc and restarted the computer and GRUB was there to greet me. So far so good. I allowed the computer to boot into Ubuntu, then the trouble started. I had a screen come up that said that the system could not detect my screen, graphics card and hardware and that it was running in "low Graphics mode." to boot
I clicked OK and had several options.

1) Run in low-graphics mode for just one session
2)Configure graphics
3)Troubleshoot the error
4) Exit to console login

Options 1,2, and leads to the system freezing with the legend

Stopping system V runtime compatability [OK]

Ctrl+alt+del leads to a restart and the whole circus all over again.

Fortunately W7 is untroubled by all this and works just fine, I just have to select Windows in GRUB to have my old OS back up again.

Option 3 opens a recovery menu, on this menu is the option

dpkg Repair broken packages

select and enter brings up a screen that scrolls as the processes are run. Then at the top of the last page this:

W: Some index files failed to download. THey have been ignored or old ones used.
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed.
linux-headers-3.2.0-24-generic-pae linux-image-3.2.0-24 generic-pae
The following packages will be upgraded.
linux-generic-pae linuc-headers-generic-pae linux-image-generic-pae
3 upgraded 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to to get 38.8 MB of archives, after this operation 124MB of additional space will be used.
Do you wish to continue [Y/n}?

If I allow this operation will my Windows partition be safe? Or is the whole partition going to become a Linux partition?

I successfully loaded the Ubuntu Unity OS from the same disc on an old Desktop that I wanted to play around in Linux on, no problems with that installation it was seamless and trouble free. I am impressed with Linux and Open source stuff and have been moving away from MS products for a while now. I was hoping to abandon MS in favour of Ubuntu but this glitch is preventing me from making a permanent move.

So what is going on? and is there a solution to this? Will I be able to get to a functioning dual boot system?

Have found the answer!!

On the install process DO NOT import settings from windoze then the Linux OS installs as normal.
norryP

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs