openwrt using dhcp host names over hosts

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

openwrt using dhcp host names over hosts

Postby bobthebob1234 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:21 pm

Not a show stopper, but a minor annoyance

I have my mythtv box called civo, with a static ip of 192.168.1.10. Sometimes it decides it wants to connect to my network over wifi, and then picks up a dhcp address (eg 192.168.1.100).

When this happens and I ping civo, I get 192.168.1.100. Not what I want. I have set up 'civo' as a hostname, pointing to 192.168.1.10 in the openwrt web interface.

I believe openwrt uses Dnsmasq for DNS stuff, so it is probably a problem / 'feature' with that.

Can it be stopped or the order of lookup reversed, so it uses the hosts I have defined first?
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:37 pm

Yes, you can specify in which order DNS should do the (reverse) lookup, can't remember where though... Also, it is possible to have the DHCP server assign an IP to a specific MAC address. And if possible (can't tell) you may want to blacklist the MAC address of the wifi card in "civo" as to disallow it to make contact that way.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:47 am

Wouldn't it be simpler to deal with the cause of the problem and disable the wireless NIC by blacklisting its module?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!