CUPs problem

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

CUPs problem

Postby paulm » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:42 pm

I have a Brother laser printer, attached to an (old) Amahi server, and set as a shared printer. Since I (very occasionally) have Windows machines on my network, I've got is set as a Samba share.

All works pretty well. with one exception. In most instances, CUPS picks up the printer automatically on other machines on the network. Which is fine, except I then cannot adjust any of the printer defaults from a network machine. If I select the printer, then go to Administration and select modify printer defaults, I get a "403 Forbidden" error. I have no opportunity to log in, and no way I can find to get access to set the printer defaults that I need. I can print, but that is it...

If I manually add the printer, I have to log in to CUPS as root to do so. And once I've done that, I can modify printer defaults both when I create the printer, and later (without having to log in to CUPS).

So, what am I missing? Its useful to have the printer autodetected and added to the CUPS setup, but its a pain not being able to set or change the printer settings once it has been autodetected. Is there any alternative to manually adding the printer to every other machine on the network?

Paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:10 pm

Is this error coming from the CUPS web interface? If so, the config is probably set to allow only access to the admin pages from the local machine. Find the section in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf that starts with

Code: Select all
<Location /admin>

and add this before the next </Location> line

Code: Select all
Allow localhost
Allow 192.168.1.* 

Change the second line to suit your network addressing. Repeat this for the <Location /admin/conf> section, then restart cupsd.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby paulm » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:45 pm

Thanks. That did it.

I don't understand why, if I add the printer manually, I can change the defaults - the problem only occurred when the printer was autodetected?

:) Anyhow, I'll remember those defaults when I finally get round to retiring the Amahi box and replacing it with my own Arch-derived server....

Paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Return to Help!