Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Virtualbox problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuarte9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Virtualbox problem Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I've just had to re-install WinXP on VirtualBox, which in turn is running on Fedora 15. (I just haven't had time to upgrade Fedora yet.) VB is currently set to use 512MB RAM and 10GB HDD.

The problem is that I can't get it to switch to full screen mode. When I select this option from VB's File menu, all that happens is that the KDE desktop disappears, leaving a standard sized VB window/desktop surrounded by a large black border all around.

If I again re-install VB and set the RAM to 1GB, would that fix the problem ? As for the graphics card, its a GeForce FX5200 with 256MB on-board memory which is being used with the Nouveau driver.. I don't suspect either of these to be the problem as they work fine in other programs.

I really do want to get the best out of this VB/XP setup so any help that can be given would be very much appreciated.

Stuart
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no point in reinstalling VB, RAM allocation is set for each virtual machine. You don't say how much memory you have overall, I wonder if you could be running out of memory when it tries to go full screen and that allocating less to the VM may help.
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you installed the VB tools not sure if they are required for full screen or not.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
stuarte9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning folks,

Thanks very much for the replies.

@nelz: I;m using P4 @ 2GHz with 2 GB RAM. When I installed VB, it suggested 512 MB RAM. I just went with what it suggested.

@Ram: I didn't know there was such a thing as VB tools. I have installed the Guest additions though. If Guest additions is not(!) the same thing as VB tools, where do I find VB tools for the VB 4.0.x that I'm using ?

Thanks again for the help so far.

Best regards,

Stuart
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuarte9 wrote:

@Ram: I didn't know there was such a thing as VB tools. I have installed the Guest additions though. If Guest additions is not(!) the same thing as VB tools, where do I find VB tools for the VB 4.0.x that I'm using ?

Thanks again for the help so far.

Best regards,

Stuart

Yes it was the guess additions I meant, I found without them I couldn't get full screen in the past.

BTW how much memory did you give to the graphic in VB.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: