Password Field filled on locked screen

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Password Field filled on locked screen

Postby Crispy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 pm

Hi,

My computer is set to automatically lock the screen when I am not using it.. I went into my kitchen, chatted to some friends and returned to my computer sometime later. The screen had been locked, however the password field was visible and was full of dots as if someone had tried to login.. I am a bit concerned tbh as to how that could have happened.. has anyone else seen this behaviour? It is possible a key might have been stuck, however I am a bit concerned that it is something more malicious.

Thanks,
Chris
Crispy

Postby Ram » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:27 pm

I'd go with a sticky key, just keep an eye on your system for a while.

Do you have a cat by any chance?

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby Crispy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks for ur reply, I thought a sticky key would be more likely but was concerned and just wondered if anyone else had experienced this or had heard of anything malicious that would cause it?

Haha, I haven't got a cat I'm afraid, although because the british summer has finally arrived, I have got my window wide open so potentially it could have been a cyber-spider trying to access the web... I am so sorry that was an awful pun! I hang my head in shame!

Thanks,
Chris
Crispy

Return to Help!