Raspberry pi Case

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Raspberry pi Case

Postby Jimmers » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:10 pm

Just went online to purchase a "Clear case for my PI" from Farnell, price was £4.99, but when I went to shopping basket,
I was informed debit/Credit cards minimum amount was £20.00
and had to purchase something else, and I still had to wait for it as they didn't have it stock.

E-bay here comes a Raspbery PI

What thinks you Guys

Jim
Jimmers
Jimmers

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:35 pm

Don't blame Raspberry PI, blame Farnell.
There are loads of cases on eBay for around £5, and in stock.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Case-Box-for- ... 41693cf08d
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Raspberry pi Case

Postby Jimmers » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:51 pm

Wylle,
There was no way I was blaming PI, for the charges, but if I go shopping in my local Morrison's, Asda, Tesco, Sainsburies, Waitrose, I can use my debit/credit for as little £2.00 probably even less.
I remember when I bought a computer, here in Gosport, I was charged extra for using a credit card???.
But thanks for the link to Ebay just purchased one, if it only arrives before I go holiday.
Then I just have to learn to use the PI

Cheers mate
Jimmers
Jimmers

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:09 pm

But Farnell are not a supermarket, and do not sell in those volumes or at profit margins where where they can absorb CC costs.
supermarkets with huge numbers of purchases can even things out.
They probably make a loss if you use a credit card to buy a £2 item, but it is outweighed by the volume of transactions, most of which are for much larger sums, so they probably get a bulk discount.

Credit card companies charge money for transactions, plus monthly charges. Creating an account for a single purchase costs money too. Add to that the amount of online fraud that takes place, (people using cloned cards, bogus addresses, etc) a minimum order value of £20 is not bad.
Purchasing a £2 item online would probably incur more than 50p in CC charges.
Paypal charges, but not as much for obvious reasons, and it takes care of the authentication.

We are used to "free" bank accounts, credit card transactions, etc, but there is no such thing. It has a cost at some point, and you pay for it one way or another.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:36 pm

Debit cards switch solo or what ever are supposed to be fee free event for the seller.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:45 pm

I thought debit cards were charged at a similar rate to cheques, a flat rate per transaction rather than a percentage, so they are still unattractive for low value transactions.

Our local Spar has a minimum card order value.

If you want a really cheap case for your Pi, download, print and assemble a Punnet case. If there's a maker group near you with a 3D printer, you can also download a case as a printer file.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Ram » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:38 pm

From their T&C
Code: Select all
Placing Card Orders
Use your card to place an order via any channel:*
 Phone:** snipped **
 Web: www.farnell.co.uk (£20 minimum order value applies)
 e-mail:**snipped **
 Fax: **snipped **

*£20 minimum order value applies to all credit card orders

Debit cards are not credit cards

Edit.
Just read another forum and it appears that Farnell don't accept Debit cards via the web.....

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:56 am

cc and dc rates depend on the broker that handles things
IIRC, streamline charge between 11p and 22p per DC transaction, depending on volume and standing charges.
CC is the same, plus a percentage.

Of course, large organisations have their own broker systems.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:57 am

I brought a news paper for 50p in Tesco the other day by credit card... It was that or a £20 note... They didn't seem too bothered
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:10 pm

The staff wouldn't be, but Tesco is a huge organisation that can afford to lose out on a few transactions.They are also now their own bank.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Discussion