Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lamp-server^

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnnie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: lamp-server^ Reply with quote

Help please. I made a major boo boo. As per the web site "How-to Geek" I typed onto my command line as root "apt-get install lamp-server^" . The install didn't complete So I decided it would be a good idea to remove it. I typed "apt-get remove lamp-server^" . When I rebooted no video would come up. I tried re-installing and repairing the distribution. I have been running ubuntu 12.04 from your magazine for about two weeks and was switching to Linux. I also tried several other distributions with the same results. I was able at one point to get into a root terminal but it wouldn't let me on-line (I was root) and when I tried to cat or vi to look at config files the system wouldn't let me. I can look at log files. I am using a dual boot Acer laptop model aspire 5736z-4460. I was able to load the ubuntu 12.04 on a Windows 7 VirtualBox. It runs fine.
Thank you for your help.

John
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quickest way is to re-install, but Nelz will be here any second to tell you you don't have to. In a way, he's right, but given your limited level of expertise you'd spend many frustrating hours finding out how to mend stuff. However, it does teach you a lot about Linux and its workings, so that decision is yours Wink

My advise: re-install and do your tinkering in a VirtualBox environment (VB is also available for Linux, no problem running a Linux VB on Linux itself!) so if it breaks, it won't affect your normal desktop environment.
Johnnie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: REINSTALL DOESN'T WORK Reply with quote

I tried to reinstall with several different distributions. None of them will lite up the display. Windows seven works as does virtualbox with ubuntu.. Distros are OK
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Ubuntu documentation at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP you need to:

First install tasksel:
sudo apt-get install tasksel

and then use tasksel to install the LAMP stack:
sudo tasksel install lamp-server

It also telly you how to uninstall, although that may not clean up after a messed-up install. May be safer to reinstall Ubuntu.

Note that when I googled "lamp-stack", this was the top hit. Google is your friend.
Johnnie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: not lamp Reply with quote

I apologize if I wasn't clear. Installing and removing lamp caused the problem. The real problem is that when I try to re-install Ubuntu I cannot get video.
Thanks for your help.

John Confused
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right then. Try this, boot into Linux, log in as your normal user and assuming you're dropped on a commandline:
Code:
sudo aptitude install gdm gnome-core xserver-xorg-core
Enter your password on request. The above command will install the X11 Window system, which is just a official name for the GUI Wink It'll pull in a number of dependencies and will ask you to confirm if you want to install those too. Answer affirmative then. If it fails because there's no internet connection, try to establish one with
Code:
sudo ifup eth0
Again, give your password on request. If that fails, it'll tell you why it failed, most likely the lack of a driver. If you get this far, report back with the exact error notification. When it all works and the packages are installed, try starting the GUI with
Code:
startx
When that works, reboot into Linux again. You now should have a graphical environment...
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasksel should only ever be used for installing, never removing software, as it will install the package and all dependencies (unless they are already installed) whereas in removal mode it will remove the package and all of its dependencies, even if other packages depend on them.
It is largely redundant now, as apt-get will often have bundles too.
So sudo apt-get install lamp-server will install the same bundle as tasksel.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: