WiFi Authentication

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

WiFi Authentication

Postby pc » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:12 pm

In various networking articles in the magazine I don't recall the issue of Wi-Fi authentication being covered.

I don't just mean the standard home user router Wi-Fi password, but the more sophisticated schemes that get used in business in hotels, and conferences etc.

1) How to specify a selection of username and/or passwords so that some can be time limited and/or withdrawn without affecting everyone.

2) How to make 1) above work with multiple routers

It seems the sort of thing a small club, business etc might be interested in.

My searching so far has come up with an "Enterprise" mode, also known as RADIUS, 802.1X, 802.11i, or EAP mode.

You need a radius server for this. Can a linux box be set up to act as a RADIUS server? If so how?

Can you easily implement the hotel type multiple time limited password with a system like this?

Can you implement the business username/password login with a system like this?

Can you use encryption keys instead of usernames/passwords?

Are all schemes compatible with all devices?

For example do some schemes only with "enterprise" type operating systems, and not say a consumer tablet or android phone?

Any chance of some information at some point in the magazine that covers the broad areas outlined above?
pc

Postby bobthebob1234 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:46 pm

There are several open source and free radius server implementations, that I have come across in the past, but never actually used then so can't say which is the best/etc but a quick google search turns up a couple and some how tos to install, etc
The only implementation I have actually been a part of used MS Active directory to authenticate based on MAC addresses, but you probably don't want that.

By the sounds of it you want to set up a hot spot, which there are many many ways of doing. Again there are many open source and free implementations, eg Chillispot

But I agree maybe a review of these would be nice to save us commoners having to try them all :D
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby pc » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:54 pm

Hi thanks for the reply.

It is the trade-off between complexity and functionality, together with any recommendations, that this topic as a part/whole article would I believe be informative.
pc

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs