Ken Starks of Helios fame needs our help.

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Ken Starks of Helios fame needs our help.

Postby neilmunro » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:38 am

I understand that this is going to look very suspicious, new account, first post about something like this. However please just look at the link prior to making up your mind.

Ken Starks (of Helios fame), the guy in Texas that gives re-built linux computers away to kids that otherwise couldn't afford them. This guy is a living legend in our community, a real hero, without him over a thousand kids wouldn't have computers, but more than that, they wouldn't have known about an alternative to Windows.

Unfortunately Ken has been diagnosed with stage IV throat cancer and there's a donation drive to see if money can be raised to get the money together for an operation.

When last I checked the donation was at over $7k but in order to reserve the OR it's going to cost somewhere in the range of $50k.

America and the stupid medical insurance thing...

The problem is time, there's perhaps 2 weeks before surgery isn't going to do any good.

Ken is a great man and has done a lot of good for our community and despite having this disease, has spent time helping kids get set up with Linux computers, even a life threatening disease hasn't destroyed his spirit of passion for spreading Linux, I don't that I could be so enthusiastic in his position.

If you can donate, please do, if you can't please help spread the word, I know this is rather serious for a Sunday afternoon, but someone's life hangs in the balance here, one of our own.

Thanks

Donation Link: http://www.indiegogo.com/helios?c=home
neilmunro

Return to Off Topic