Installing printer drivers

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Re: Installing printer drivers

Postby nelz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:48 pm

DavidMcCrossan wrote:
Code: Select all
sh /cdroot/autorun

There is no leading / before cdroot. Or you could cd into the cdroot directory and do

sh ./autorun

Without or with sudo.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

(SOLVED) Installing printer drivers

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Nelz, you have done it again!
I got to /downloads and then to
sh cdroot/autorun

which it declined.(cannot open autorun).
On the second attempt with
sudo cd cdroot/autorun

It all fell into place.
It first complained of missing soft and tried to install and failed because of not being su. When I went to sudo again it installed such as Sane and a whole load of libs, and it presented me with the wonderful dialog box for the Unified Linux Driver, and gave me the list of printers, including my new ML-1670 Series which I selected, and it installed for me.

I am very tired now, but I will install my new printer termorrer.

From the bottom of my heart I cannot thank you all for giving me so much of your time and advice. I will also have a go at sorting out my /Home dir since this might be the underlying problem which prevented me from doing a system upgrade instead of a clean install a while back.

Best regards to all

David
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Installing printer drivers

Postby DavidMcCrossan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:21 pm

Just an update.
I installed me machine this morn and set up the new Samsung Configurator (?). After a very long time it finally printed the finest CUPS test page I have ever seen, in PS3. Very fast, too!

Mind you, it helps if you plug in the USB lead the right way round.....

For the sake of completeness I will post termorrer the items bash had to download to make autorun work, so others coming after will see what needs to be done.

There is a long list printers covered by the new soft, and I can only surmise that Splix will wither on the vine, as there have been no updates from the new config thingy.

All in all, very impressive, thanx again you guys!

Best

David
DavidMcCrossan
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Hardware