KDE, Dolphin and SSH keys

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

KDE, Dolphin and SSH keys

Postby bobthebob1234 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:05 pm

So got key based auth on my server. Fine if I use Konsole to connect. However if I use dolphin (sftp://) it repeatedly asked me to re enter my password for my key... If I want to open a file (eg in Kate) I have to enter password again. I want to save that file I have to enter password again. I browse to different directory, need to enter password again. Then it gives up asking for my password, and tries to log in using god knows what. I have fail2ban on server. End result I get banned (well dolphin says it timeout) and I have to go to 1 of my other servers, ssh in though that and unban myself, which can get a tad annoying...

So anyone know how I permanently unlock my ssh key (for that session) in KDE/Dolphin? Googling hasn't turned up much :(
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby paulm » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:57 pm

Don't know whether it would work in that situation, but have you tried ssh-add? I only use it on my laptop (since a 'session' on the desktop might be a matter of months), but it saves me entering my pass phrase every time I connect to a remote server.

:) You could always switch to MC - if I want file management and file transfer rather than a terminal session, I use it pretty well exclusively....

Paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:34 pm

OOh that appears to work, for the duration of this session at least (all 5 minutes of it...) so maybe that is a solution!

What is this MC of which you speak?
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby paulm » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:55 am

bobthebob1234 wrote:OOh that appears to work, for the duration of this session at least (all 5 minutes of it...) so maybe that is a solution!

What is this MC of which you speak?

:shock: You've never used Midnight Commander? Shame on you.... :D

Paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Return to Help!