Paperless Banking (rant)

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby 1slipperyfish » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:02 pm

el chapulín wrote:I opted out of paperless banking. I find it quite ironic that they mention saving paper and thus trees and by extension the planet...

Then the following day a load of their junk mail arrives on the door mat with the loans, insurance, credit cards, mortgages, which I've told them repeatedly over the last few years I do not want... so much for saving paper...

i'm the same ha :D
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby nelz » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:43 am

Why is it that as soon a a topic mentions useless rubbish turning up uninvited and unwanted, 1sf (troll) pops up? :P
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby 1slipperyfish » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:23 pm

nelz wrote:Why is it that as soon a a topic mentions useless rubbish turning up uninvited and unwanted, 1sf (troll) (troll) pops up? :P

must be something in the water??
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby towy71 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:33 pm

1slipperyfish (troll) (troll) wrote:must be something in the water??
paul
Nothing a stick of dynamite can't cure :twisted:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Nuke » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:51 am

el chapulín wrote:I find it quite ironic that they mention saving paper and thus trees and by extension the planet...

Then the following day a load of their junk mail arrives on the door mat ...

Just as we are having this discussion, this lot arrives from Nationwide in the same post :-

Six annual statements because I have six accounts with them, all with an identically worded letter, in identical envelopes, arriving together, addressed to the same person.

Even though six statements are required, they could have saved five letters, five envelopes and five stamps. They could have sent me half a year's worth of the monthly statements that they are so keen to abolish for this.

Yet they nag me to save the planet! :-

[NB : NW screenshot has NW logo moved closer to other content to save space here]
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:22 pm

Statements are generated, printed and inserted in envelopes by software and machinery, which can be quite inflexible, but not as inflexible as the rules governing financial communications.

What's wrong with PDFs anyway?
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:09 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:but not as inflexible as the rules governing financial communications.

Yes this is the excuse that my bank gave me for having to send me credit card statements monthly....

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:What's wrong with PDFs anyway?

Clearly anything electronic can be forged and thus cannot be trusted. If it is made of paper how could you possibly forge it??
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:19 pm

And what is wrong with digital signatures in conjunction with those PDF's

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:30 pm

bobthebob1234 wrote:
wyliecoyoteuk wrote:but not as inflexible as the rules governing financial communications.

Yes this is the excuse that my bank gave me for having to send me credit card statements monthly....

It's not an excuse, it's a fact. Credit is different from a bank account, notice that credit cards never offer a paperless option?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Ram » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:38 pm

nelz wrote:
bobthebob1234 wrote:

It's not an excuse, it's a fact. Credit is different from a bank account, notice that credit cards never offer a paperless option?

Virginmoney do, not had a paper credit card statement in well over a year.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 am

Ram wrote:
nelz wrote:
bobthebob1234 wrote:

Virginmoney do, not had a paper credit card statement in well over a year.

Tesco, HSBC and Amazon cards also.
some like Yorkshire bank, are still in the paper statement world.

Paper to tell me I don't owe anything is a waste.

Just to add to this, it can be surprisingly difficult to cancel some of these accounts?
HSBC require you to visit a branch in person, MDS required it in writing (and then ignored it, it took 3 letters to cancel).
HSBC threatened to cancel my card because I hadn't used it in 4 years, so I said "yes please", and they still didn't!
Barclaycardtold me they had cancelled it and kept sending me statements, then sent me a new card!
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Nuke » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:02 am

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Just to add to this, it can be surprisingly difficult to cancel some of these accounts.

I have (or think I have) several credit card accounts that I opened because there was a freebee or shop discount at the time, and I have never used since, and I never hear from them (Hello "New Look"!). Perhaps I ought to try cancelling them.

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Just to add to this, it can be surprisingly difficult to cancel some of these accounts?
HSBC require you to visit a branch in person,
HSBC threatened to cancel my card because I hadn't used it in 4 years, so I said "yes please", and they still didn't!
Barclaycard told me they had cancelled it and kept sending me statements, then sent me a new card!

Banks seem to employ their brightest people in marketing and in constantly searching for new, cheaper premises to move to. The ones that read your letters or emails are the monkeys.

My elderly mother moved into a home and I helped her to write a letter to Barclays to tell them the new address. After about 6-8 months I realised her bank card had been expired for three months (she never uses it) and she had not received a new one. When I pursued this, Barclays told me that a visit to the bank was required to change address. You would think that they would have replied to her letter to say so at the time. And worst of all it emerged that, having presumably binned her letter, they had continued to send stuff to the old address including the new card and its PIN number!!! What idiots.

I took Power of Attorney over her accounts about then and the first thing was to close the account with Barclays.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:24 pm

It is a good idea to cancel them, because apparemntly even dormant credit accounts can affect your Credit rating, and they could always be hijacked.
In fact, fraudsters often target dormant card accounts, hoping to get away with it before the account holder notices and complains.
I had a credit card that hadn't been used for a year, and only checked my statements (online of course) when i noticed a Direct debit on my current account .
Someone had charged several withdrawals of around 50 euros from ATMs in France, not enough to be noticed by the bank in question as worrying, and the last time I had used it was in a French ATM.

As I could prove that I was in the UK at the time, the money was refunded and the card cancelled.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:37 pm

The main reason for on-line banking/utility bill paying etc. is so that the company at the other end of the electron stream can reduce its workforce/labour in order to save money and make more profit.
This however reduces the amount of money being paid by employers into the pocket of the country's consumers, since workers=consumers, and so the consumers have less to spend. Alas this leads to the profits of the maker/retailer/banker going down a bit more, leading to more ways being sought to reduce the cost of running the business in order to maintain high profit levels.

The site http://realitymoney.page.tl/ has quite a bit more to say about money and our position relative to it.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Off Topic