Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMD HD7770

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhester

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: AMD HD7770 Reply with quote

Does anyone have and AMD HD7770 running with a 64bit distro?

I have tried ubuntu 12.10 with no luck, Fedora 32bit worked but 64bit stops at grub.

The card is fine in windows so I know the card is ok, and the card runs ok ubtil I try to install the AMD drivers.
dhester

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to get a gigabyte geforce 650 ti tomorrow to see if it works any better with Linux.

Has anyone got this card with a 84bit distro?
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhester wrote:
Going to get a gigabyte geforce 650 ti tomorrow to see if it works any better with Linux.

Has anyone got this card with a 84bit distro?

It's nvidia so shouldn't be any problem though, might be hard pushed getting a 84 bit driver. Wink

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
dhester

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the nvidia 650 ti card but can only get 600 x 400 resolution. I have installed the experimental nvidia driver (310) to see if this helps but still the same.

This was better than when I installed the AMD drivers, all I could get with them was the wallpaper with a mouse cursor. At least with the nvidia I get a desktop.

I can't be the only person with this problem!
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a serious problem installing the latest nVidia driver, but also older drivers on a 3.6.x kernel. Somehow it doesn't play well with the sources nor X11... Sad

To get at least some decent resolution, in your case I'd install the nv or nouveau driver and remove any xorg.conf file in /etc/X11. It's not ideal (no 3D, thus no Google Earth Rolling Eyes ) but at least it's better then VESA resolution... Razz
dhester

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get around the problem. The desktop machine that I use for work uses windows and has two 12 inch monitors I swapped one of them for the 17 inch on the linux machine now the linux machine can use higher resolutions, currently 1280 x 1024.

The monitor now connected to the linux box is a philips 170B4, luckily I have several monitors but for someone who has just the one this could have been a major problem and put them off Linux.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: