GTK3 and GNOME rotting?!

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

GTK3 and GNOME rotting?!

Postby Farcry » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:27 pm

There's a fantastic discussion here about GTK3 and GNOME3, especially the high-handed attitude of certain developers to impose their chosen way ("brand"), regardless of the wider impact (for example, breaking themes). KDE4 gets grubbed quite a bit too, as you might expect after the KDE3->4 debacle. The future is looking really messy, unless you decide to become a dedicated conformist or true believer ...

PS: I'm ex-KDE3 and ex-GNOME2 and for some time have used Openbox + Tint2 + selected (mainly GTK2+3, a few Qt) extra apps. Razor-Qt seems quite neat and heading in a reasonable direction.
;)
Farcry

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Personally, I like unity and xfce.
I think that unity happened partly because canonical saw the way that gnome3 community was going and decided to grow their own.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Nuke » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:28 pm

Farcry wrote:There's a fantastic discussion here about GTK3 and GNOME3

Crikey, I've just had a look and that IgnorantGuru's Blog has a bigger discussion than Slashdot usually does. Is this a well-known blog, and is IgnorantGuru an individual?
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

IgnorantGuru's blog

Postby Farcry » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:37 pm

Nuke wrote:Crikey, I've just had a look and that IgnorantGuru's Blog has a bigger discussion than Slashdot usually does. Is this a well-known blog, and is IgnorantGuru an individual?

Blog is becoming better known, as IgnorantGuru's excellent SpaceFM file manager and udevil un/mounter become deservedly more popular. IgnorantGuru has contributed often to the Arch Linux forums, for example: about SpaceFM. Also was one of the folk very critical about Arch's lack of package signing - now, of course, all in the past.
Farcry

Return to Discussion