Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coverdisk Distros - 32 bit or 64 bit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
el29fx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Coverdisk Distros - 32 bit or 64 bit? Reply with quote

LXF163 has the Mint KDE distro. Is it 32 or 64 bit?

Other question/problem...When I run it as a live disk,
after from 10 to 30 minutes (it varies) it freezes.
Mouse and keyboard are unresponsive. Only way out
is to reboot.

I have the same problem with other distros live disks.
If it never worked that is one thing, but I can get the
live disks to run, sometimes as much as 30 minutes and
then it freezes.

i5 processor, 4 gig RAM, 64 bit system.

Any thoughts?

Brian
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a very similar problem on somewhat different hardware (64 bit AMD), but in that case it was to do with the network interface. If I left it plugged in by cable it would run for at least as long as I wanted it to, but after about 20 mins with the cable unplugged it would lock up hard.
I thought it was due to the wireless card kicking in and that was the cause of the problem, however even after extensive messing around with compiling more recent drivers the problem persisted. The problem was eventually "fixed" in a more recent kernel, but even now unless I deactivate the ethernet interface, it still pretends to go on-line, then off-line every 15 to 20 minutes.
All of which is no real help as the problem of locking up doesn't occur with the kernel provided in Mint 13, but I'm prepared to bet that the problem is down to some hardware driver misbehaving, the trouble is finding out which one. If you had a proper installation you could look in the system log to see if anything odd is recorded just prior to each lock up. Otherwise, I suppose you could have a terminal open with
tail -f /var/log/syslog
running, but there’s no guarantee that it will show you what is going wrong before it goes TU.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: