Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

creative labs blaster modem in linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unisol

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: creative labs blaster modem in linux Reply with quote

i recently bought a creative labs usb blaster modem 56k to use with linux(ubuntu hoary 5.04) but cannot get modem to work in linux can someone please help
unisol

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: RE: creative labs blaster modem in linux Reply with quote

maybe some would help me on this one i bought a us robitics pro 56k data/fax modem it say its compatible with kernel 2.3 and higher just a little help on configuring i tried minicom and wvdial no luck
towy71

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: RE: creative labs blaster modem in linux Reply with quote

I have no expertise on Gnome but there must surely be an equivilant to kppp, maybe gppp?

no just ggogled and found this: http://www.gnome-ppp.org/

hope that helps

Dick
fingers99
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: creative labs blaster modem in linux Reply with quote

unisol wrote:
maybe some would help me on this one i bought a us robitics pro 56k data/fax modem it say its compatible with kernel 2.3 and higher just a little help on configuring i tried minicom and wvdial no luck

Tell us more about the modem. Is it external or internal, serial or usb?

What distro are you using?

Have you tried

pppconfig (from the command line)

What does "no luck" mean?
unisol

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: creative labs blaster modem in linux Reply with quote

sorry its an internal pci data/fax modem a usrobitics it says it supports kernel 2.3 and higher as far as pppconfig i have tried it is it possible the problem is because im using an alpha version of ubuntu hoary 5.04 if it is i do have kubuntu hoary 5.04 non-alpha
unisol

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: creative labs blaster modem in linux Reply with quote

sorry its an internal pci data/fax modem a usrobitics it says it supports kernel 2.3 and higher as far as pppconfig i have tried it is it possible the problem is because im using an alpha version of ubuntu hoary 5.04 if it is i do have kubuntu hoary 5.04 non-alpha
fingers99
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: creative labs blaster modem in linux Reply with quote

The chances are you need a driver for it.

If you run

lspci

you should be able to identify the chipset. You'll then need to google for:

linux (myChipSet)

and download the driver.
unisol

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: creative labs blaster modem in linux Reply with quote

it says on tho box that its compatible with kernel 2.3 and up the manufactuer said linux shuold detect it
fingers99
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: creative labs blaster modem in linux Reply with quote

unisol wrote:
it says on tho box that its compatible with kernel 2.3 and up the manufactuer said linux shuold detect it

They were lying! The compatability they're refering to is probably of their drivers.
unisol

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: creative labs blaster modem in linux Reply with quote

i got it to dialup by typing ln -s ttyS14 but it wont hold a connection any one have any ideas
fingers99
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: creative labs blaster modem in linux Reply with quote

OK, so I was wrong.

First of all, ln -s ttySS14 doesn't make any sense as a command.

Maybe

ln -s /dev/ttySS14 /dev/modem

would do it.

If it's not maintaining a connection, it's generally because you're using the wrong authetification. Generally it'll be PAP.
unisol

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: creative labs blaster modem in linux Reply with quote

i am using pap when i run wvdial it says no valid phone number ,id or password and i did edit wvdial.conf and put the right info in. its not because my service provider is msn i hope i heard the blocking linux users who use wine to run msoffice from getting updates
fingers99
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: creative labs blaster modem in linux Reply with quote

It's probably not the issue.

You might try pon to create the connection, poff to break it, but run pppconfig first.
unisol

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: creative labs blaster modem in linux Reply with quote

i tried pon it dials up but doesnt connect it say validation failed i know msn uses a different protocol MD5chap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: